David Taylor collection

Title

David Taylor collection

Description

Colour and B&W photos of the railway, buildings and stations of the Upper Calder Valley. Images dating from ca. 1900 to 2013

Date

ca. 1900 - 2013

Rights

Copyright (c) 2006-2017 Pennine Horizons Digital Archive

Identifier

DTC

Collection Items

Railways around Halifax and Bradford early 20th century - DNT00272
Colour code:

Black - Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway
Red - Midland Railway
Green - Great Northern Railway
Blue - London & North Western Railway.

Triangle, Nr. Sowerby Bridge - DNT00271
An intermediate station on the Rishworth Branch from the Calder Valley Main Line at Sowerby Bridge. The line opened in 1878 and the station in 1885. The line closed to passengers in 1929 and fully in 1958.

Walsen Nr. Todmorden - DNT00270
The station on the Manchester & Leeds Railway opened in 1845 and was closed in 1961. A new station slightly to the east opened in 1990 but with bus stop style shelters.

Clifton Road Station, Brighouse - DNT00269
On the L&YR’s ‘Pickle Bridge’ line which opened in 1881 running from near Wyke on the Halifax-Bradford line to join the Calder Valley main line east of Brighouse. The station, seen here with passengers and station staff posing for the camera…

Bailiff Bridge Station,  Nr. Brighouse - DNT00268
On the L&YR’s ‘Pickle Bridge’ line which opened in 1881 running from near Wyke on the Halifax-Bradford line to join the Calder Valley main line east of Brighouse. The station opened in 1881 at the same time as the line but ‘temporarily’ closed in…

Lightcliffe Station, Nr. Halifax - DNT00267
The station on the Halifax –Bradford line opened at the same time as the line in August 1850. The station was closed in 1965.

Hipperholme Station, Nr. Halifax - DNT00266
The station on the Halifax –Bradford line opened at the same time as the line in August 1850. The station was closed in 1953.

Ovenden Station, Halifax - DNT00265
The station on the joint GNR/L&YR Halifax & Ovenden Junction Railway opened in 1881 three years after the line between Halifax Station and Queensbury had opened. The station closed in 1955 when passenger services on the line were withdrawn and the…

Halifax. Crests on Water Lane Overbridge - DNT00264
Unidentified crests on either side of the arch on the east face of the railway overbridge on Water Lane built 1848/9 when the Halifax Branch was extended from Shaw Syke near to the town centre and onto Bradford, opening in 1850.

Halifax. East face of overbridge on  Water Lane - DNT00263
East face of the railway overbridge built 1848/9 when the Halifax Branch was extended from Shaw Syke near to the town centre and onto Bradford, opening in 1850. Still in use.

Water Lane Halifax - DNT00262
Disused railway overbridge west face near the top of Water Lane. This had borne an L&YR goods shed which straddled Water Lane accessed from the goods depots on either side of the lane. A little further down can be seen another bridge, built late…

Site of L&YR Goods Depot - DNT00261
On the south side of Water Lane the depot consisted of two sizeable Goods Sheds and sidings; goods facilities were finally fully withdrawn in 1981. The original 1844 terminus station which became the Goods Office early 1850s was situate at the far…

Halifax. Shaw Syke Goods Shed 28.02.2013 - DNT00259
The roof collapsed in two places.

Halifax. Shaw Syke Goods Shed 27.03.2011  - DNT00258
Part of the roof collapsed and another part sagging.

Halifax. Shaw Syke Goods Shed 01-04-2010 - DNT00257
The roof showing signs of sagging and the yard cleared for temporary council public car parking.

Halifax. Shaw Syke Goods Shed South West Elevation - DNT00256
The shed on the north side of Water Lane was built by the L&YR about the 1850s. The original terminus station on the south side of Water Lane became the Goods Office at the same time. Today (2017) it stands derelict.

Centre left is the disused…

Halifax. Shaw Syke Yard and GNR Warehouse - DNT00255
View looking across Shaw Syke goods yard down to the GNR warehouse. Taken in April 2010 just after the yard had been cleared for temporary council public car parking. The remains of rails just visible between the cobbles.

Halifax.  GNR  Warehouse South elevation - DNT00254
The main line is just off the view to the right behind the bushes.

Halifax. GNR Warehouse West Elevation - DNT00253
The now disused warehouse a little to the south of the station with the site of former sidings now car parking for Eureka Children's Museum.

Halifax Station from the South - DNT00252
On the left part of Eureka Children’s Museum but this and all the grassed area seen here had been lines and platforms built in the mid-1880s for use by the GNR. To the right is the handsome Italian style station building dating from 1855 but now used…

Halifax. Site of North Bridge Goods Station - DNT00251
By the mid-1860s Halifax Station was considered particularly inconvenient for goods traffic causing delays to the ever necessary delivery of coal and to relieve this bottleneck it was proposed removing mineral and general goods to a station at North…

Halifax. Site of North Bridge Passenger Station - DNT00250
The station opened on the joint GNR/L&YR’s Halifax & Ovenden Junction Railway in 1880 nearly six years after the line between Halifax Station and Holmfield had opened. The station closed in 1955 when passenger service between Halifax and Queensbury…

Halifax Station High Level Access Bridge - DNT00249
The newer stonework in the bridge parapet above the centre pillar blocks off what had been the top of steps down to the to the island Platforms 5 & 6 to the front of the station building.

Halifax  Station High Level Access Bridge - DNT00248
The high level access was built in the mid-1880s when the station was considerably enlarged including sidings, lines and platforms to the front of the station now, as seen here, car parking and access road to Eureka Children’s Museum. To the right a…
View all 170 items

Comments

Allowed tags: <p>, <a>, <em>, <strong>, <ul>, <ol>, <li>

Collection Tree

  • David Taylor collection