Howsham Hall, Howsham is a Grade 1 listed building. The hall, constructed of stone brought from the neighbouring Abbey of Kirkham, was built in 1610 by Sir William Bamburgh and was, for many years, the family home of the Cholmleys, before it passed to the Strickland family, who sold it in 1948. Situated on the edge of the Howardian Hills in an area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, is was for the for the next 50 years, used as a preparatory school for boys before its closure in 2007. Please note: the house is not open to the public. The notes accompanying each photograph are from a series of lectures first given to the Hebden Bridge Literary & Scientific Society by Mr. George Hepworth around 1916.