Located 4 miles east of Doncaster, the Hall was built for Sir Joseph Copley in 1670 during the reign of King Charles II, although the site had been inhabited since Saxon times. Following the sale of the estates at the Doncaster Guildhall in September 1925, the Hall was demolished in 1926. There is little evidence of this fine building remaining except the old 18th century stable yard, now apartments, and some street names in the area. The wrought iron gate opposite the village shop was part of the gardens. Copley Junior School in Sprotbrough village is named after the Copley family. The notes accompanying each photograph are from a series of lectures first given to the Hebden Bridge Literary & Scientific Society by Mr. George Hepworth around 1916.