Wood Lane Hall
Perhaps one of the finest vernacular buildings in West Yorkshire is the magnificent Wood Lane Hall, Grade 1 listed, it was built by successful yeoman clothier, John Dearden between 1649 and 1651. The original timber-framed F-plan house was encased in stone, and a two-storey porch erected; this incorporated an unusual "apple and pear" window. It has escaped external alterations evident in many others. It is situated in the Calder Valley on a steep hillside, mid way between Sowerby Bridge and the ancient Village of Sowerby. Above the entrance are the initials J.D. & E.D. 1649. The notes accompanying each photograph are from a series of lectures first given to the Hebden Bridge Literary & Scientific Society by Mr. George Hepworth around 1916. Please note: the hall is not open to the public.