Browse Items (185 total)

  • Tags: #Expo
Bridge dated 1892. Cast Iron by "De Bergue & Co. Ltd. Manchester." A 2 span slightly skewed bridge with triangular stone breakwaters which rise into elaborately decorated piers. East pier is inscribed "E. Riley - Architect" and the west pier is…
These horses are pulling an engine up to Dawson City

Tags: , ,
Photo taken at the top of Bridge Lanes, Hebden Bridge. The road to the left is Heptonstall Road. The houses on the right composed "High Street" which were demolished in the 1960's, being classed as being unfit for habitation.
The Cross In Hepstonstall was built in 1617 on the site of an older hostelry. The Grade 2 listed building has also been known as the Union Cross. The facade on Town Gate is from the Victorian era.
The second policeman from the right is Mark Andrews, PC 123, who was the Heptonstall policeman during and just after the war. He lived at 2 Hepton Drive and had two sons, Peter and Paul (born 1945). The ladies on the left are Miss Shackleton (Nanny)…
Heavy snow had prevented provisions being delivered to Blackshaw Head, so this team is delivering 'relief' supplies to Blackshaw Head Co-op. They have come up Ragley and have just passed Hudson Mill on the way to the Devil's Elbow.

Hebden Bridge…
Albion Barker b. 1879 standing 5th from left.
Probably Unitarian Church outing to Hardcastle Crags c1900.
The price of fish, chips, tea and bread and butter is 8d. in the cafe nick named Mrs Cuddys on New Road. It was moved to the canal side on Holme Street and converted into a garage later becoming Southwells Coaches, which later became the site of the…
Messrs Astin Bros, of Hebden Bridge and Sowerby Bridge, June 3rd 1919. Photo taken on the market ground, Hebden Bridge.
This early form of wheelchair, or bath chair as they were sometimes called, must have been very difficult to pull.
Burnley Road at the top of Brearley Lane was the site of the Evercreme Toffee Works. On every 'Toyplane' toffee was printed a letter from the word 'Toyplane'. When you had collected all the letters you could send in the wrappers in exchange for a…
The double-fronted shop in the centre was a grocer's shop run for many years by Nancy Swain.
Bankfoot House on the left and Mill on the right.
The original Salem Chapel, built 1885, replaced an earlier chapel built 1824 which only had seating for 750 with a schoolroom underneath. The new chapel had seating 1050. Falling membership after the Second World War meant eventual amalgamation with…
The shop on the right was both a grocers and a drapers, run by Arnold Sunderland, Auntie Parker, Edith and Emma (Anna).

The boy is Charles Taylor.

In the centre (driving horse and cart?) is Arnold Sunderland, Gerald Sunderland's uncle.

The photo…
Playing outside the bank at the junction of Albert Street and Hope Street.
Output Formats

atom, csv, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2