Browse Items (42 total)

  • Tags: Birchcliffe Chapel

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DEF00510.jpg
Birchcliffe hillside taken from Heptonstall Road circa 1970. Eiffel Tower is in the foreground and Birchcliffe Chapel to the right.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DEF00356.jpg
This was the third General Baptist's Chapel on the Birchcliffe Hillside the first opened in 1764 on Sandy Gate although meetings had been held at Higher Needless at the top of Wadsworth Lane some years earlier. In 1833 the chapel was rebuilt to…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DEF00352.jpg
David Fletcher walking up to the door. This was the third General Baptist's Chapel on the Birchcliffe Hillside the first opened in 1764 on Sandy Gate although meetings had been held at Higher Needless at the top of Wadsworth Lane some years earlier.…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DEF00313.jpg
Now the home of Pennine Heritage Limited.

Purchased in 1978 with assistance from the Joseph Rowntree Social Service Trust (JRSST) to save it from demolition, the building was converted in 1979 to the Pennine Heritage HQ and low cost office space for…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/BBS00103.jpg
The 1st Hebden Bridge company (Birchcliffe). Taken at Birchcliffe Chapel.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DEF00255.jpg
More or less in the centre the 'new' Birchcliffe Baptist Chapel in course of construction with the old Chapel above it to the left. Lower centre Nutclough Mill with part of Hangingroyd Mill and Hebden Works below.

Hebden Bridge's famous…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DEF00212.jpg
The upper floor of the chapel after its first conversion as a community space. Now the Birchcliffe Centre with upper floor totally re-structured following a Heritage Lottery grant. See www.pennineheritage.org.uk/

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/KEC00312.jpg
The rear of the former Manse centre left. Part of the Hebden Bridge Local History Society Archive

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/ALC05782.jpg
Bridesmaid - Sonia Mitchell? Birchcliffe Chapel

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/ALC05780.jpg
Anne & Jack Hamer. (nee Wilkinson). Birchcliffe Baptist Chapel, Hebden Bridge.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/ALC05733.jpg
Clive and Beryl Sunderland (nee Clark). Left to right:- Molly Sunderland (nee McAuliffe), Jean Greatorex (nee Lumb), Clive, Beryl, Christine Stansfield (nee Lord) and Gillian?

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/ALC05180.jpg
The old Birchcliffe Chapel can be seen with the graveyard visible before it was colonised by trees. Being built is the new Birchcliffe Chapel which was completed in 1898. Chapel Avenue is just a building site!

Nutclough Mill is in the centre of…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/ALC00830.jpg
pencil notes on back "RGS in 2/1952 BS of plates Marked on base"

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/ALC00486.jpg
The old Birchcliffe Baptist Chapel. Some of the stone was later used to build a Sunday School located behind the 'new' chapel which opened in 1898.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/ALC00485.jpg
The old Birchcliffe Baptist Chapel. Some of the stone was later used to build a Sunday School located behind the 'new' chapel which opened in 1898.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/ALC00481.jpg
Birchcliffe Baptist Chapel, probably ready for its opening on 31st October 1899. It closed as a chapel in February 1974 and was bought by the Joseph Rowntree Social Services Trust. A floor was built across at balcony level to provide an upper storey.…
Output Formats

atom, csv, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2