Browse Items (34 total)

  • Tags: Birchcliffe Road

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DEF00206.jpg
Birchcliffe Road, with Eiffel Street the first on the left and Edward Street the second. The date on the stone at the top of this first end house is 1839, and on the end house on the corner of Edward Street, the date is 1899.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/WSC00268.jpg
Nutclough Mill in the centre with double-decker houses on streets off Birchcliffe Road above it. To the left of the river part of Hangingroyd Mill with to the right the demolition site of another part of the mill which had partly straddled the river.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/WSC00232.jpg
View down Wadsworth Lane to where ir becomes Birchcliffe Road. Hebden Dale going off to the right at the top.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/WSC00213.jpg
Centre left the Shoulder of Mutton with to its right Bridge Mill and chimney and to the right of that the Council Offices now re-named the Town Hall.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/RAW00122.jpg
Following demolition of the White Horse Inn in 1962 the site was converted into a car park.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/KEC00337.jpg
Houses on Commercial Street above Garden Street in course of demolition in the mid 1960s. Botton left the widened Birchcliffe Road. The building on the left has also gone. Part of the Hebden Bridge Local History Society Archive

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/KEC00336.jpg
Looking down on to Commercial Street. The road has now been widened and the buildings across Commercial Street all demolished, only those on the left remain. Part of the Hebden Bridge Local History Society Archive

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/KEC00335.jpg
The bottom of Birchcliffe Road with its junction with Commercial Street. The buildings on the left have been demolished. Part of the Hebden Bridge Local History Society Archive

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/KEC00309.jpg
Part of the Hebden Bridge Local History Society Archive

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/KEC00308.jpg
The opening on the right goes into what today is Birchcliffe Centre car park. Part of the Hebden Bridge Local History Society Archive

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/KEC00307.jpg
The houses are known locally as 'Snob Row'. Part of the Hebden Bridge Local History Society Archive

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/ALC05859.jpg
The junction of Keighley Road and Birchcliffe Road shortly after buildings were demolished to improve the junction.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/ALC00407.jpg
ALC00407. General town view c.1900. The new Birchcliffe Baptist Chapel (1899) just visible on the righthand hillside above Stubbings School but Riverside School (1908/9) being built on the land above the houses in the foreground. The Council Offices…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/ALC00401.jpg
In the centre the almost complete 'new' and much larger Birchcliffe Baptist Chapel with Edward Street below in course of construction The large retaining walls supporting Keighley Road and Birchcliffe Road now in place.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/ALC00400.jpg
ALC00400. c.1890. In the foreground the Hangingroyd area and behind the steep cliff through which Keighley Road has been cut but not yet supported by the large retaining walls. To the left Hangingroyd Mill; in the centre Nutclough Mill and above it…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/ALC00399.jpg
c.1888. In the centre is Nutclough Mill before the extension to the left, and above 'old' Birchcliffe Chapel. Housing starting to be developed on the hillside; top right Cliffe Royd on Wadsworth Lane and right behind the north side of Blenheim…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/ALC00370.jpg
The bottom of Birchcliffe Road at its junction with Commercial Street before Commercial Street was re-aligned in 1959 to carry straight on up Keighley Road; the buildings on the left were demolished at that time. The buildings on the right still…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/ALC00365.jpg
Looking across the White Lion yard to Birchcliife. Behind the houses centre left is the roof of St John's Church which was consecrated in 1931 and made redundant in 1984 and converted into dwellings. To its right is Stubbings School opened 1878.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/BIM00382.jpg
c1970. The top of the tower like building centre left contained a water tank for the sprinkle system for the Co-op building just out of view on the left.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/HLS05023.jpg
Birchcliffe Road at its junction with Commercial Street. The buildings on the left were demolished in 1959.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/HLS05021.jpg
View from Moss Lane probably early 1890s. On the hillside on the left the Stubbings estate built during the 1880s and climbing up the hill Cliffe Street and above that Blenheim Street. Nutclough Mill has extensions to left and right.
Output Formats

atom, csv, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2