Browse Items (55 total)

  • Tags: Canopies

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00269.jpg
On the L&YR’s ‘Pickle Bridge’ line which opened in 1881 running from near Wyke on the Halifax-Bradford line to join the Calder Valley main line east of Brighouse. The station, seen here with passengers and station staff posing for the camera…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00268.jpg
On the L&YR’s ‘Pickle Bridge’ line which opened in 1881 running from near Wyke on the Halifax-Bradford line to join the Calder Valley main line east of Brighouse. The station opened in 1881 at the same time as the line but ‘temporarily’ closed in…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00242.jpg
The recently restored platforms and canopies looking down the line towards Beacon Hill Tunnel. To the right the up line ansd site of the up loop and to the left the former Platform 3 now along with the station building used in connection with Eureka…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00229.jpg
An unusual triangular station built by the GNR in 1879 with buildings on all three platforms at the junctions of the Bradford – Halifax (GNR route), Bradford – Keighley and Halifax - Keighley lines, seen here the Halifax – Keighley platform early…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00226.jpg
An intermediate station on the GNR’s loop line from Laisterdyke to Shipley which had opened in 1875. The station here opened at the same but closing to passengers in 1931 and to goods in 1964 and the line finally closed over its whole length in1968.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00223.jpg
An intermediate station between Bradford Market Street Station, re-named Forster Square in 1924, and Shipley it was opened by the MR in 1875. The station was closed in 1965 and then demolished but a new unstaffed station was opened in 1987 with the…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00218.jpg
In the 1960s the Victorian glazed roof was dismantled and replaced with the butterfly awnings seen here and about the same time services from the station were drastically reduced following closure of lines and stations. In 1990 a new truncated…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00213.jpg
The original station here was built in 1846 by the Leeds & Bradford Railway which had been formed to connect the two towns by railway along the Aire Valley. The company was acquired by the MR in 1853 who rebuilt the station seen here and this in turn…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00212.jpg
On the GNR line between Keighley and Queensbury where it connected with lines to Bradford and Halifax. The station opened with the line in 1884 and closed in 1955 at the same time as the line closed to passenger traffic, closing to all traffic in…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00208.jpg
On the GNR line between Keighley and Queensbury where it connected with lines to Bradford and Halifax. The station opened with the line in 1884 and closed in 1955 at the same time as the line.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00200.jpg
The Leeds & Bradford Extension Railway, acquired by the MR, between Shipley and Colne opened through Keighley in 1847 giving the town its first station. The station seen here with a large island platform dates from 1883 and is on the opposite side of…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00185.jpg
The Otley Branch from Arthington on the Leeds-Harrogate line was opened by the NER in February 1865 with the station at Otley. A few months later the line was extended on from Otley to Ilkley by the MR/NER ‘Otley & Ilkley Joint Railway’ and…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00183.jpg
The station on the section of the Leeds & Bradford Extension Railway between Skipton and Colne opened 1848 with the line. On the Colne side of the station was the junction for the Barnoldswick Branch. The station was closed in 1970 at the same time…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00180.jpg
The station seen here is Bingley’s second station and was opened in 1892 replacing the earlier station which was a little to the west near the Three Rise Locks on the Leeds & Liverpool Canal. It remains open.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00177.jpg
The station on the Leeds & Bradford Railway’s Aire Valley Line opened in July 1846 a few weeks after the line. This station was replaced in 1900 by the one seen here when the line was widened to four tracks. The station closed in 1965 but a new…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00176.jpg
The first station here on the MR Aire Valley line opened in 1846 on completion of the Leeds & Bradford Railway and known originally as Calverley Bridge. The station was completely re-built c.1900 when the line was quadrupled with the main station…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00175.jpg
The first station here, known as Newlay, on the Leeds & Bradford Railway’s Aire Valley line opened in 1846 but the station seen here, possibly in MR days (ie pre-1923), dates from quadrupling the line in 1905 having been re-named Newlay & Horsforth…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00172.jpg
The station on the Leeds & Bradford Railway’s Aire Valley Line opened at the same time as the line in 1846 which became part of the MR network. A new station, the Leeds Platform seen here, was built when the line was quadrupled in about 1905 and the…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00145.jpg
Originally on the Leeds & Selby Railway which opened in 1834 from Marsh Lane which was the first station in Leeds. However due to the machinations of George Hudson, the ‘Railway King’, it fell into disuse between 1840 and 1850 and the line was not…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00117.jpg
Station frontage looking down Station Road. The station with its imposing Tudor style building replaced an earlier station near Sowerby Tunnel and was built in the late 1870s when the Rishworth Branch was constructed. It was hastily demolished…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00115.jpg
The remarkably preserved station on the Leeds-Manchester Victoria main line; the original signage restored to its Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway colours. The two functioning and heated Waiting Rooms are host to a permanent photographic exhibition on…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00112.jpg
The gas lamps which were there on a 1973 photo have been replaced with fluorescent tubes and the platform has also been raised since then. The signage in BR's standard colours, another change since 1973, a reverse of the original and current white…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00111.jpg
Taken sometime between 1966 and 1973; a 1966 photo shows timber sleepers but here they are concrete and the station clock seen behind the second pillar had been removed by the time of a 1973 photo. The small steps on the platform were to assist…
Output Formats

atom, csv, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2