Browse Items (25 total)

  • Tags: Carriages

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/NGH00122.jpg
Probably after the station’s closure in September 1962. Viewed looking down the line and on the right part of the up platform and behind it carriages in a siding. Beyond the carriages is the disconnected junction and track bed of the Stainland Branch…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/NGH00121.jpg
29th October 1962. Unknown locomotive passing through the station on the up line. Bottom left part of the down platform and junction with the Halifax line. To its right carriages stored on a siding.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/NGH00118.jpg
Looking from the down platform obliquely up the line in the Sowerby Bridge direction. Off the up line carriages stored on a siding and between the signal gantries on the right the junction with the Halifax Branch. The station had closed the previous…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/NGH00116.jpg
Looking across to the passenger shelter on the up platform probably in October 1962. Centre right carriages stored on a siding and far left a section of steps to the footbridge which connected the platforms with one another and with the Booking…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/NGH00109.jpg
Carriages stored on a siding behind the up platform. Bottom left rails diverging for the junction for the Halifax Branch. The station had closed in September 1962 and was demolished in 1965.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/NGH00108.jpg
A former LMS Fowler Class 4F number 44457 passing through Greetland Station on the down line after closure of the station in September 1962. The loco went to the scrap yard in October 1964.

On the left behind the water turret carriages are stored…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00231.jpg
On the ‘short line’ between Bradford & Leeds, built by the Leeds Bradford & Halifax Junction Railway, which opened in 1854 and was operated from the start by the Great Northern Railway who subsequently acquired it. The station opened with the line…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00156.jpg
An intermediate station on the Bradford, Wakefield & Leeds Railway between Leeds and Wakefield which opened in 1857 and became part of the GNR network in 1865. The station closed in 1964.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00129.jpg
Built by the Midland Railway in 1846, with subsequent re-builds, it was the first station in Leeds centre. Up until the building of New Station in 1869 it was shared by the London & North Western Railway but thereafter it was used exclusively by the…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00117.jpg
Station frontage looking down Station Road. The station with its imposing Tudor style building replaced an earlier station near Sowerby Tunnel and was built in the late 1870s when the Rishworth Branch was constructed. It was hastily demolished…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/RDA00106.jpg
21 June 1912. 'The Manchester to Leeds express literally burst the rails asunder' on the already notorious Charlestown Curve between Todmorden and Hebden Bridge killing four passengers and injuring many more. Seen here the derailed Aspinall 2-4-2T…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/WAO00255.jpg
Loco number 11279 taking up water on the troughs between Sowerby Tunnel and Luddendenfoot as it heads a Manchester bound train. Water troughs such as these enabled steam engines to take on water without stopping.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/LYR00259.jpg
LYRS 4340 - General view of platforms, buildings and canopies with an additional platform and line behind the 'down' platform on the right. The station is now reduced to two through platforms and the buildings on the right have gone as have the…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/LYR00251.jpg
LYRS 2795 - This was the third station on the site and dates from 1881. Seen here in about 1910 looking west with Dobroyd Castle on the hillside. On the right the ‘down’ side warehouse and the carriages in the left hand bay would have formed a…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/LYR00169.jpg
LYRS 6403 - 1963. General view of Platform 4 including canopy & columns and the clock. The covered stairway went up the Booking Office. By the time this photo was taken the other two former GNR platforms to the station front had been closed and…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/LYR00168.jpg
The former GNR Platforms 4, 5 and 6 to the front of the 1855 Italian style station building. These platforms were built in 1884/6 when the station was substantially enlarged to accommodate increased passenger and freight traffic including the new…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/LYR00165.jpg
LYRS 2698 - general view of the L&YR Platforms to the rear of the Station Building looking the in 'Down 'Leeds direction. On the right is Platform 1 and to the right of that the 'down' loop now long lifted. To the left is Platform 3 now used in…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/LYR00160.jpg
LYRS 1024 - Aspinall 2-4-2T No 39 (possibly) and unidentified coach at Halifax. In the bottom right hand corner the island platform still in use today. The train is standing at Platform 3, now part of Eureka, and in front of it the rails going off…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/LYR00159.jpg
LYRS 2667 - Barton Wright 4-4-0 heading a westbound train on the 'up' Manchester platform. . The first station opened in 1840 to the east of Huddersfield Road and new station, seen here, to the west of Huddersfield Road was opened in the 1890s. It…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/LYR00157.jpg
LYRS 4768 - Copley Station - general view of platforms, signal box and unidentified loco and train. The station, mid-way between Halifax and Milner Royd Junction on the Calder Valley Main Line, opened in 1855 to serve Akroyd's model village which…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/LYR00155.jpg
LYRS 0344 - Aspinall 2-4-2T at Copley Station. The station, mid-way between Halifax and Milner Royd Junction on the Calder Valley Main Line, opened in 1855 to serve Akroyd's model village which pre-dated Titus Salts much more famous Saltaire. The…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/LYR00125.jpg
LYRS 2785 - Sowerby Bridge Station - looking towards 'Down' Bay platforms in BR period. The Bay platfoms have gone as have the signal box, signals and cylindrical water tower. The lines going off to the right are for the Rishworth Branch (closed to…
Output Formats

atom, csv, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2