Browse Items (27 total)

  • Tags: Chapel

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/CRN00340.jpg
The building on the left looks like a converted chapel.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DEF00356.jpg
This was the third General Baptist's Chapel on the Birchcliffe Hillside the first opened in 1764 on Sandy Gate although meetings had been held at Higher Needless at the top of Wadsworth Lane some years earlier. In 1833 the chapel was rebuilt to…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DEF00352.jpg
David Fletcher walking up to the door. This was the third General Baptist's Chapel on the Birchcliffe Hillside the first opened in 1764 on Sandy Gate although meetings had been held at Higher Needless at the top of Wadsworth Lane some years earlier.…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/KST00189.jpg
Bethel Chapel, Spark House Lane, near Sowerby Bridge.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/TAL00460.jpg
The Lydgate Church, Todmorden, was formed from members of the Lineholme Church, in 1859. The new endeavour numbered some fifty Todmorden people. Beginning in a cottage, they moved to Newgate Bottom, where they rented the top room of a disused mill.…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/TAL00274.jpg
In the centre of the photo is Patmos Chapel, Burnley Road, Todmorden. The site is now the Memorial Gardens

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/HCC00211.jpg
Slack Baptist Chapel, erected in 1808. Donated by Esther Dean

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/CVH00185.jpg
Notice the cobbled footpath in front of these cottages. Donated by Yvonne Broadbent.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/CVH00184.jpg
Alan Sutcliffe of 6 Upper Castle working on his land. you can see the Wesleyan Chapel and what was then the Post Office. Donated by Yvonne Broadbent.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DEF00276.jpg
A composite picture showing the steps down from Heptonstall Road. The new Methodist church can be seen top left.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DEF00204.jpg
Heptonstall Slack Baptist Chapel Choir c.1909, taken to celebrate the 50th Anniversary of the Choirmaster, William Greenwood, nickname William the Singer.

Bottom row from left: Sarah Pickles, unknown, Francis Greenwood who was killed in the First…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/WAO00120.jpg
This church was located on Scout Road, and closed for worship in December 22014. The new organ was consecrated 24th October, 1903.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/ING00117.jpg
This is where Sir Bernard started his career.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/KEC00143.jpg
Beyond the shops on the left is part of Melbourne Mill, now site of the Co-op,
beyond that the Salem Methodist Chapel and beyonf that the large Brecks Mill with the tall chimney of Calder Mill behind it. Part of the Hebden Bridge Local History…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/ALC04550.jpg
The chapel was built in 1764 by a Methodist Society which had grown steadily since John Wesley’s first visit in 1747. At first it was a perfect octagon, but in 1802 the sides were extended and the gallery reconstructed to increase the capacity. The…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/HBC00660.jpg
The architect of the chapel was William Henry Cockroft. Cross Lanes Chapel can be seen on the hillside behind.
Output Formats

atom, csv, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2