Browse Items (420 total)

  • Tags: Chimneys

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/TAL00412.jpg
Taken from Doghouse, and showing the many mill chimneys. The Town Hall is bottom right and on the sky line Cross Stone Church on the left and Stoodley Pike on the right. AN 32938415

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/STW00104.jpg
Part of Lee Mill can be seen on the left, the far chimny is of Midgehole Upper Mill, later Midgehole Dyeworks and the monument on the horizon is Pecket War Memorial.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/STW00103.jpg
Part of Lee Mill can be seen on the left, and the monument on the horizon is Pecket War Memorial.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/STW00102.jpg
The road in the foreground is Midgehole Road and the Mill is Lee Mill.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/CBC06234.jpg
Photographed in early 1960's. This chimney is now a Grade II listed building.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/CBC06194.jpg
This is the view of the top of Winding Road. The buildings in the immediate foreground are now the site of the bus station.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/CBC06189.jpg
Possibly Shaw Lodge, between Halifax and Siddal.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00230.jpg
Looking in the Halifax direction with the north portal of Bowling Tunnel all but hidden by smoke. The line in the centre continues to Bradford Exchange and the line going off to the left is the Bowling Curve to Laisterdyke where it joined the…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00225.jpg
An intermediate station on the GNR’s loop line from Laisterdyke to Shipley which had opened in 1875. The station here opened three years later in 1878 and closed to passengers in1931 and to goods in 1964 and the line finally closed over its whole…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00223.jpg
An intermediate station between Bradford Market Street Station, re-named Forster Square in 1924, and Shipley it was opened by the MR in 1875. The station was closed in 1965 and then demolished but a new unstaffed station was opened in 1987 with the…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00222.jpg
The first station out of Bradford on the Midland’s line towards Shipley it was opened in 1868 and closed nearly a hundred years later in 1965. Seen here on the right is the sizeable Manningham Motive Power Depot which closed in 1967 and then…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00221.jpg
The first station out of Bradford on the Midland’s line towards Shipley it was opened in 1868 and closed nearly a hundred years later in 1965.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00203.jpg
Haworth Station on the single track Keighley & Worth Valley Railway opened in 1867 at the same time as the line, seen here looking towards Keighley. From its earliest days it was busy with pilgrims to the shrine of the Bronte sisters. The line was…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00202.jpg
Haworth Station on the single track Keighley & Worth Valley Railway opened in 1867 at the same time as the line, seen here looking towards Oxenhope. From its earliest days it was busy with pilgrims to the shrine of the Bronte sisters. The line was…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00188.jpg
The MR’s branch from the Otley & Ilkley Joint Railway to their Aire Valley line at Apperley Junction had opened in 1865 and the station at Guiseley was opened at the same time. The connection to the Aire Valley line was Leeds facing which meant that…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00173.jpg
The first station was built here when the line opened in 1846 and was rebuilt, seen here looking towards Leeds, when the line was quadrupled in about 1905. The station closed in 1965.

A station at nearby Kirkstall Forge existed from 1860 to 1905…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00165.jpg
The station was on the Heaton Lodge & Wortley Railway from Huddersfield to Leeds, which always known as the ‘Leeds New Line’,and it opened at the same time as the line in 1900. Seen here pre-
First World War it only had a short existence being closed…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00164.jpg
The station on the LNWR Leeds-Huddersfield-Manchester line opened in 1848. In 1882 to overcome congestion on the joint approach to Wellington and New Stations the LNWR built a separate approach, which included the Farnley Viaduct, and the station was…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00163.jpg
In 1878 a branch from Stanningley on the GNR Leeds-Bradford ‘short line was opened up to Pudsey Greenside with a station here. Then in 1893 a curve from Bramley to the Pudsey Branch was constructed which was then extended to Cutlers Junction at…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00162.jpg
In 1878 a branch from Stanningley on the GNR Leeds-Bradford ‘short line was opened up to the station here with an intermediate station at nearby Pudsey Lowtown. Then in 1893 a curve from Bramley to the Pudsey Branch was constructed which was then…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00161.jpg
The station on the GNR ‘short line’ between Leeds Central and Bradford Exchange had opened at the same time as the line in 1854. In 1878 a single track branch was opened from Stanningley to Pudsey but this was disconnected at Pudsey in 1893 when the…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00160.jpg
On the 'short line' from Bradford to Leeds Central Station opened in 1854 by the Leeds, Bradford & Halifax Junction Railway which was acquired by the GNR in 1865. The station closed in 1966 and the buildings were demolished; a new station with bus…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00159.jpg
On the GNR ‘short line’ from Leeds Central to Bradford the station opened with the line in 1854. To the west of the station there was the junction with the Pudsey loop line which had opened in 1893 and closed in 1965. Bramley station closed in 1966…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00156.jpg
An intermediate station on the Bradford, Wakefield & Leeds Railway between Leeds and Wakefield which opened in 1857 and became part of the GNR network in 1865. The station closed in 1964.
Output Formats

atom, csv, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2