Browse Items (809 total)

  • Tags: Church

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DPC00387.jpg
There has certainly been a church at Halifax for about 900 years. The Minster, formerly a Parish Church until 23 November 2009, was completed by about 1438. It comprises a nave, chancel and full-length aisles, and is thought to be the third church on…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DPC00381.jpg
There has been a church on this site for many centuries and it became a Minster in the 2000s. Postcard dated 1930.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DPC00379.jpg
There has been a church on this site for many centuries and it became a Minster in the 2000s. On the left is Dispensary Walk. Postcard dated 1908.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DPC00361.jpg
The mill chimneys and factories of Halifax can be seen in the background of this photograph. The former home of Colonel Akroyd (after whom the park is named), Bankfield House is now owned by Calderdale Council and houses a library, a museum and the…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/KST00252.jpg
Lower Section, Tower, St Thomas the Apostle

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/KST00251.jpg
Upper Section, Tower, St Thomas the Apostle, Heptonstall

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/KST00244.jpg
Manufactured by Bancroft.

Titus Bancroft was born 13th February 1778, probably in Sowerby Bridge. He was baptised on 15th March 1778 at the Northgate End Presbyterian Chapel in Halifax. He died in Halifax on 17th May 1839 and is buried at St John’s…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/KST00243.jpg
St Thomas' Church Heptonstall. Copy of the famous painting by Leonardo da Vinci

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/KST00240.jpg
Manufactured by Bancroft.

Titus Bancroft was born 13th February 1778, probably in Sowerby Bridge. He was baptised on 15th March 1778 at the Northgate End Presbyterian Chapel in Halifax. He died in Halifax on 17th May 1839 and is buried at St John’s…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/KST00238.jpg
Unknown Church

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/KST00121.jpg
Celebrating the re-opening of the Rochdale Canal through Sowerby Bridge with the construction of Tuel Lane Lock, now the deepest inland waterway lock in the UK at 19ft 8½inches, connecting to the Calder & Hebble Navigation.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/AGW00259.jpg
Showing the narrow entrance to Midgely Road. When Clough Mill, shown on the left, was demolished the road was widened.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/HCC00163.jpg
The house on the hillside behind the church is Cragg Hall before it was 'improved' by the Hinchliffes. Old Cragg Hall is towards the top of the picture, in the trees. Photo donated by Margaret Harrison

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/CRN00291.jpg
The gable end of the Endowed School can be seen behind the building works for the new garden. Todmorden Town Hall is on the left.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/CRN00223.jpg
Looking down from Hell hole Rocks on to the road going up Mytholm Steeps. The parish church of St James is in the foreground and with the sheltered housing of Mytholm Court to the left of it, and then Brown's engineering works.
Output Formats

atom, csv, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2