Browse Items (17 total)

  • Tags: Coal Yard

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/NGH00123.jpg
The shed was behind the station building and signal box on the down platform and separated from the main goods yard by the Halifax Branch. Rail access was from a westward facing junction off the down line. Following closure in September 1962 the…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00247.jpg
View looking north east from the station approach road and bridge. On the right the south west portal of Beacon Hill Tunnel and on the left part of the former coal yard now car park for Eureka Children’s Museum. The trees at the far end of the car…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00246.jpg
Now the car park for Eureka Children's Museum. The top of the coal drops hidden from sight by the bushes and trees on the right.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00237.jpg
View of the town from Beacon Hill with the railway goods and coal yard centre and the high level station approach and station centre left.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/ALC00456.jpg
View from the north hillside across Station Road to the coal drops and the goods yard. Date unknown but the station closed in 1962 and the goods yard in 1965. The only evidence there once was a station here is in the name 'Station Road'.

The parish…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/LYR00190.jpg
LYRS60 The site is now mixed use but the stone gate pillars remain but not in their original position and a distance apart. Note the Victorian postbox in the wall.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/LYR00192.jpg
LYRS6084. 1963. The now demolished coal drops at the top of Station Road following closure of the station.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/LYR00180.jpg
LYRS 3462n - C.1927. Halifax St Paul's Coal Depot - general view of depot including track, wagons and buildings. The joint L&YR and GNR line opened in 1890 from a junction at Holmfield on the Halifax - Queensbury line up to a terminus station known…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/LYR00175.jpg
LYRS2700. Date unknown but probably about 1970. The connections to the GNR platforms to the station front have gone as has the Platform 3 line to the rear but the track to North Bridge is still there. The only railway activity today centres on the…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/LYR00136.jpg
LYRS 8625 - Coal drops in 1967. The coal drops seen here with wagons on the coal siding above are west of the station off the 'up' line. Dating from about 1875 coal was 'dropped' from railway wagons on the sidings down the shoots into road wagons…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/LYR00135.jpg
LYRS 5057 - 1956. Coal Sidings & Ground Frame Box (front & non-door gable). The coal sidings with 'drops' beneath were west of the station off the 'up' line.
Output Formats

atom, csv, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2