Browse Items (112 total)

  • Tags: Colden
Jack Bridge cricket club won the cup in 1930. Here are three of the players. From L to R:

Jack Chambers, Clifford Crabtree and Rennie Thwaites.

They are pictured at Hudson Mill with the bottom of Pilling Steps behind the group. Note that they…
Looking across to the road to Blackshaw. Centre of the picture is the roof of the New Delight Inn with #high Street just beyond it, to the right up the hill is Murgatshaw Farm just before Shay bend.
JACK BRIDGE is a stone bridge of one arch towards the upper end of the Colden Valley carrying the Burnley Road over the Colden, the old road to Burnley via Blackshawhead
HEBBLE HOLE BRIDGE lies in the Colden valley in the deep clough below Hudson Mill. W. B. Crump thought that this hollow became known as Hebble-hole from the presence of the hebble or bridge there. When the meaning of the hebble passed out of common…
An open air service takes place here at 8 o'clock on the first Sunday in May.
At the top of Colden Clough was Jack Bridge Mill. Production at the mill ceased early 20th century but it wasn't demolished until many years later. Colden School is to the left of the road. On the left of the picture you can just make out Broadstone…
Bridge over Colden Water just below the houses at the top of Eaves Estate.
Taken from Hell Hole rocks below Heptonstall, the Ragley road, from Mytholm to Jack Bridge, can be seen on the left; the chimney of Lumb Mill is in the bottom of the valley, with Lumb Bank, a former home of Ted Hughes, to the right.
Land Mill is in the rural Colden Valley to the north of the New Delight Inn.
The hilltop farms of Scotland and Greenland can be seen.
In the foreground is Colden Water, the houses top right are Lower Smithy. Colden school is to the right of the mill chimney
In the 1960's before Moderna Blankets a company called D.E.Stuttard Ltd made oil fired boilers called 'Desomatic'. R Thomas 01422 846392 as a brass plate which was attached to the boilers. Ref: 037.
An early steam powered mill, built in 1861 by Colden Cotton & Commercial Company Limited, was the last to be built in the Colden Valley. It was demolished in the 1970s following a fire. Colden School can be seen left of centre. On the very left of…
Postcard, published by Lilywhite Ltd, Brighouse. Colden School is on the left hand side. The row of cottages in the foreground on the right are called High Street.
Lumb Bank at Top and below the chimney of the demolished Lower Lumb Mill.
Postcard. Handwritten note on bottom of postcard says 'oft have I wandered here in solitude, and gazed with rapture, upon the glorious surroundings - Chas (?)
Higher and Lower Lumb Mills, Lumb Bank in foreground
Jean Forrest Recalls
Jack Bridge Mill was built in 1861 as a steam powered spinning mill with twin Lancashire boilers and a beam engine, all buildings being on one level. In 1862 a large weaving shed was added, at that time the largest in the valley…
Output Formats

atom, csv, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2