Browse Items (49 total)

  • Tags: Commercial Street

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/AGW00233.jpg
Stubbings Steps from School Street down to Commercial Street in the 1950s. The building at the bottom was originally the toll bar house on the Leeds and Hebden Bridge Turnpike Road.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/CBC06087.jpg
Ref 092251 The main part of the building was constructed in 1887 with an extension for a telephone exchange added in 1926.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/WSC00167.jpg
Top of the '100 Steps' coming up from Commercial Street to the bottom of Marlborough Road.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/WSC00119.jpg
On the left is Croft Mill with its chimney and behind the chimney is Zion Particular Baptist Chapel. Running down the centre of the photo are the 100 Steps from Marlborough Road to Commercial Street. The houses on the right are the rear of Crossley…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/KEC00417.jpg
The narrow entrance into Garden Street. The top two floors of the four storey buildings on the left were back to back with houses on Commercial Street. With the exception of the end ones these were demolished in 1965 and the site converted into a…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/KEC00416.jpg
Centre right the site of the former White Horse, demolished 1962, now Lees Yard then looking over St George's Square to the Shoulder of Mutton on Bridgegate. Part of the Hebden Bridge Local History Society Archive

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/KEC00415.jpg
Prior to its re-alignment Commercial Street ran to the front of the White Lion as seen here with a right turn for Keighley Road. The building on the extreme left is part of the White Horse, demolished 1962, and the building centre right was…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/KEC00414.jpg
Re-alignment of the junction of Commercial Street and Keighley Road nearly complete. Prior to this Commercial Street ran to the door of the White lion and then turned left to go down Bridgegate or right to join Keighley Road. The open road seen here…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/KEC00413.jpg
The buildings on the right are part of the White Lion and the cobbles going up to the left join onto Birchcliffe Road, now blocked off at the top other than for pedestrians. Prior to demolition of the buildings at the bottom in 1959 Keighley Road…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/KEC00412.jpg
The buildings on the right part of the White Lion and below re-alignment of Commercial Street and its junction with Keighley Road about complete. Prior to re-alignment Commercial Street ran to the door of the White Lion and turned right for Keighley…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/KEC00407.jpg
Dwellings on the left above Garden Street recently demolished here in the mid-1960s. Part of the Hebden Bridge Local History Society Archive

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/KEC00406.jpg
Dwellings on the right in course of demolition with those on the left above Garden Street already gone. Part of the Hebden Bridge Local History Society Archive

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/KEC00337.jpg
Houses on Commercial Street above Garden Street in course of demolition in the mid 1960s. Botton left the widened Birchcliffe Road. The building on the left has also gone. Part of the Hebden Bridge Local History Society Archive

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/KEC00336.jpg
Looking down on to Commercial Street. The road has now been widened and the buildings across Commercial Street all demolished, only those on the left remain. Part of the Hebden Bridge Local History Society Archive

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/ALC00370.jpg
The bottom of Birchcliffe Road at its junction with Commercial Street before Commercial Street was re-aligned in 1959 to carry straight on up Keighley Road; the buildings on the left were demolished at that time. The buildings on the right still…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/ALC00369.jpg
Stubbings Steps from School Street down to Commercial Street in the 1950s. The building at the bottom was originally the toll bar house on the Lees and Hebden Bridge Turnpike Road.

Recalling the days of moody black and white films such as “Room at…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/ALC00366.jpg
St Georges Square looking across to the Shoulder of Mutton and behind can be seen partially demolished buildings on Buttress Brink.. The car in the foreground has a 1968/9 'G' registration number. Note the water tank on the top of the building on the…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/ALC00364.jpg
From the Square looking up to Keighley Road; on the left Bridge Mill, used by Chorlton Bros., Wholesale Clothiers, and beyond that the White Lion and opposite it the junction of Bridge Gate with Commercial Street before it was re-aligned 1964/65 to…
Output Formats

atom, csv, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2