Browse Items (126 total)

  • Tags: Gas Lamp

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/BCC00130.jpg
The new Automobilia Museum at Huddersfield

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/TAL00442.jpg
A deserted Halifax Road, Todmorden illuminated by gas lamps.Was this ever called York Street?

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/NGH00112.jpg
Although the station had been closed for over a month the flower bed here on the down platform still looks well cared for. The other side of the fence is the small timber Booking Office connected to both platforms by the footbridge.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/NGH00107.jpg
The small timber Booking Office set back from the east end of the down platform, the two separated by the station approach road which can just be discerned between the picket fence and the building. On the left can be seen the steps up to the…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00229.jpg
An unusual triangular station built by the GNR in 1879 with buildings on all three platforms at the junctions of the Bradford – Halifax (GNR route), Bradford – Keighley and Halifax - Keighley lines, seen here the Halifax – Keighley platform early…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00225.jpg
An intermediate station on the GNR’s loop line from Laisterdyke to Shipley which had opened in 1875. The station here opened three years later in 1878 and closed to passengers in1931 and to goods in 1964 and the line finally closed over its whole…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00224.jpg
The station, which had been known as Shipley Bridge Street, was the terminus of a loop line built by the GNR from Laisterdyke opening in 1875 with intermediate stations at Eccleshill, Idle and Thackley The station closed to passengers in 1931 and to…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00223.jpg
An intermediate station between Bradford Market Street Station, re-named Forster Square in 1924, and Shipley it was opened by the MR in 1875. The station was closed in 1965 and then demolished but a new unstaffed station was opened in 1987 with the…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00222.jpg
The first station out of Bradford on the Midland’s line towards Shipley it was opened in 1868 and closed nearly a hundred years later in 1965. Seen here on the right is the sizeable Manningham Motive Power Depot which closed in 1967 and then…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00221.jpg
The first station out of Bradford on the Midland’s line towards Shipley it was opened in 1868 and closed nearly a hundred years later in 1965.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00211.jpg
On the GNR line between Keighley and Queensbury where it connected with lines to Bradford and Halifax. The station opened in 1886, two years after the line, and closed in 1955 at the same time as the line closed to passenger traffic, closing to all…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00210.jpg
On the GNR line between Keighley and Queensbury where it connected with lines to Bradford and Halifax. The station opened with the line in 1884 and closed in 1955 at the same time as the line closed to passenger traffic, closing to all traffic in…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00205.jpg
An intermediate station between Keighley and Haworth, on the single track Keighley & Worth Valley Railway opened in 1867 at the same time as the line and seen here in MR days with station staff posing for the camera. The line was operated by the MR…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00204.jpg
A sad and near derelict station in BR days in the 1950s. The station closed in 1961 and the line in 1962 re-opening as a heritage railway in 1968. The station has now been fully restored and is the headquarter of the Keighley and Worth Valley…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00202.jpg
Haworth Station on the single track Keighley & Worth Valley Railway opened in 1867 at the same time as the line, seen here looking towards Oxenhope. From its earliest days it was busy with pilgrims to the shrine of the Bronte sisters. The line was…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00201.jpg
Damens Station seen here in MR days on the single track Keighley & Worth Valley Railway opened in 1867 a few months after the line had been inaugurated and reputedly was Britain's smallest standard-gauge railway station. The line was operated by the…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00198.jpg
Known as Grassington & Threshfield Station it was the terminus of the Yorkshire Dales Railway and opened with the line from Embsay Junction on the MR’s Ilkley Skipton Line in 1902; it was operated throughout by the MR. Regular passenger services were…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00196.jpg
An intermediate station on the MR’s Ilkley – Skipton line it opened with the line in 1888. The great popularity of Bolton Abbey made it a very busy station particularly in summer with excursion trains of several railway companies; it was also the…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00195.jpg
An intermediate station on the MR’s Ilkley – Skipton line it opened with the line in 1888. The station closed with the line in 1965 and the station buildings subsequently demolished and the site is now a housing estate.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00194.jpg
The western terminus of the ‘Otley & Ilkley Joint Railway’ the joint MR/NER station opened with the line in 1865. In 1888 the MR opened a line from Ilkley to Skipton with their own through platforms which were regarded as a separate station from the…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00192.jpg
The station on the MR/NER ‘Otley & Ilkley Joint Railway ‘opened at the same time as the line in August 1865. The station was de-staffed in 1968 and the buildings demolished and replaced by bus stop style shelters, the line was electrified in 1994/5.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00191.jpg
The station seen here in MR days is on the MR’s Shipley – Guiseley line and opened at the same time as the line in 1876 and was closed in 1953 and the buildings subsequently demolished. An unstaffed station was re-opened in 1973 and the line, now…
Output Formats

atom, csv, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2