Browse Items (25 total)

  • Tags: Goods Wagons

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/NGH00123.jpg
The shed was behind the station building and signal box on the down platform and separated from the main goods yard by the Halifax Branch. Rail access was from a westward facing junction off the down line. Following closure in September 1962 the…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/NGH00105.jpg
View of the goods yard or sidings looking down the line in the Elland direction. The station closed in 1962 and an oil terminal was built on the site of the goods yard.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00232.jpg
On the Halifax-Bradford line at its junction with the Spen Valley Line. The station opened in July 1848 the same time as the line between the junction and Bradford. As well as an important junction station it also served the Low Moor Ironworks which…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00207.jpg
The southern terminus of the single track Keighley & Worth Valley Railway opened in 1867 at the same time as the line, seen here looking towards Keighley possibly in MR days. The line was operated by the MR from the start and acquired by them in…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00119.jpg
The first station at Elland opened in October 1840 at the same time as the section of the M&LR between Hebden Bridge and Normanton and was immediately to the east of Elland Tunnel. It was rebuilt a little to the east in 1865 and then again in 1894 as…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/WAO00253.jpg
A steam vehicle on Burnley Road passing tennis court and bowling green on Tillotson Holme and above long lines of railway goods wagons in the Station Goods Yard, closed 1962. St Mary's Church with its 126ft spire, demolished 1980, on the hillside

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/LYR00273.jpg
LYRS 0467 - Aspinall 0-6-0ST No. unknown at the Goods Yard, including wagons for a Burnley based colliery. The yard closed to general goods in 1964 and to coal in 1972; it is now the station car park.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/LYR00250.jpg
LYRS 2793n - Date unknown but in LYR days pre-1922 The Goods Yard is now the Station Car Park and the canopies and signals as well as the buildings on the left hand platform have now all gone. Cross Stone Church on the skyline

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/LYR00249.jpg
LYRS2797a. Looking east over the station and the town. The goods yard is now the station car park and most of the station buildings have now gone. The Stansfield or Todmorden Curve can just be seen on the far left going off beyond the signal box.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/LYR00243.jpg
LYRS 2954 - Postcard view of the station, level crossing and signal box.

The station opened in 1849 and closed to passengers in 1958 and to goods in 1963. The road name, Station Approach, is the only indicator to its once existence but the level…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/LYR00222.jpg
LYRS 8452 -Date unknown but following demolition of Victoria Mill in the later 1960s. General view of the Goods Warehouse, platforms, station buildings and canopies looking east. Only one of the former three taking-in door hoists on the warehouse is…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/LYR00221.jpg
LYRS6051 - Goods facilities were withdrawn in 1966 and the goods yard closed and dismantled. The warehouse was let for general storage but was demolished in 1969 following a serious fire. The site is now the station car park. . The square wood clad…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/LYR00220.jpg
LYRS6050. The large double bay station warehouse in 1963 but with only one of the former three taking-in door hoists left. Goods facilities were withdrawn in 1966 and the warehouse let for general storage. It was demolished in 1969 following a…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/LYR00215.jpg
LYRS 4478 - General view of the 'up' platform, buildings and canopy in 1951 with westbound Stanier 4-6-0 Class No. 45421. The station warehouse to the left and Victoria Mill beyond were demolished in the late 1960s. The sleepers on the platform…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/LYR00210.jpg
LYRS2701. Early 20thc. pre-1908 view across the railway station to the town. The passenger station, re-built 1891/2, wedged between Victoria Mill to its right and the large railway warehouse to the left, the second bay of which built in 1884 still…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/LYR00184.jpg
LYRS 4540 - 1951. General view of platform, buildings, canopy and goods yard looking towards Mytholmroyd as Stainer 4-6-0 5MT. No. 45201 approaches. The station closed to passengers in 1962 and to goods in 1965.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/LYR00182.jpg
LYRS 1442 - Hughes 0-8-0 Number 1357 heading a goods train between Luddendenfoot and Sowerby Tunnel. To the right of the funnel, St Walburga's Catholic Church on Burnley Road is just visible.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/MOT00160.jpg
Walsden, viewed from Gauxholme Stones, in the 1950s. the station just visible on the right. Clough Mill, in the foreground, is thought to be the first cotton mill in the Todmorden area. Through the years it has been occupied by a variety of trades…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/MOT00150.jpg
View of the central railway triangle in the late 1920s viewed from Hallroyd Bridge, with the triangle filled in and used as a marshalling area. The tracks to the right the 1862 fork to Stansfield Hall Junction and to Burnley whilst those on the left…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/MOT00149.jpg
View of the central railway triangle, taken from Ridgefoot in the late 19th Century showing the coal chutes on Stansfield Road, and beyond, the triangle with a void at its centre. Immediately beyond the coal chutes on the left is the Stansfield, or…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/MOT00147.jpg
A view of the station goods yard overlooking the Salford area. Caleb Hoyle's private coal wagons can be seen in the siding. On the hillside can be seen the Unitarian Church built by the Fieldens.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/MOT00146.jpg
General view of Todmorden from Sunnyside in the early 1900s, with the main Manchester to Leeds railway lines arcing away to the left. The triangle not yet developed here.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/JCA00302.jpg
Goods train hauled tender first over the water troughs between Luddendenfoot and Sowerby Tunnel.
Output Formats

atom, csv, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2