Browse Items (32 total)

  • Tags: Great Northern Railway

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00265.jpg
The station on the joint GNR/L&YR Halifax & Ovenden Junction Railway opened in 1881 three years after the line between Halifax Station and Queensbury had opened. The station closed in 1955 when passenger services on the line were withdrawn and the…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00255.jpg
View looking across Shaw Syke goods yard down to the GNR warehouse. Taken in April 2010 just after the yard had been cleared for temporary council public car parking. The remains of rails just visible between the cobbles.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00253.jpg
The now disused warehouse a little to the south of the station with the site of former sidings now car parking for Eureka Children's Museum.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00252.jpg
On the left part of Eureka Children’s Museum but this and all the grassed area seen here had been lines and platforms built in the mid-1880s for use by the GNR. To the right is the handsome Italian style station building dating from 1855 but now used…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00251.jpg
By the mid-1860s Halifax Station was considered particularly inconvenient for goods traffic causing delays to the ever necessary delivery of coal and to relieve this bottleneck it was proposed removing mineral and general goods to a station at North…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00250.jpg
The station opened on the joint GNR/L&YR’s Halifax & Ovenden Junction Railway in 1880 nearly six years after the line between Halifax Station and Holmfield had opened. The station closed in 1955 when passenger service between Halifax and Queensbury…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00249.jpg
The newer stonework in the bridge parapet above the centre pillar blocks off what had been the top of steps down to the to the island Platforms 5 & 6 to the front of the station building.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00248.jpg
The high level access was built in the mid-1880s when the station was considerably enlarged including sidings, lines and platforms to the front of the station now, as seen here, car parking and access road to Eureka Children’s Museum. To the right a…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00240.jpg
The site of the former GNR lines and sidings running to the front of the station building.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00239.jpg
Originally this dark and insalubrious looking tunnel beneath the station had been for vehicular access to the goods yard at the station’s front and it also it provided a pedestrian access up until the early 2000s to steps up to the station approach,…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00238.jpg
View from Beacon Hill with the railway goods and coal yard in the centre.

Photo David N Taylor Collection.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00237.jpg
View of the town from Beacon Hill with the railway goods and coal yard centre and the high level station approach and station centre left.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00236.jpg
The high level access road built in the mid-1880s when platforms and lines were constructed to the front of the original 1855 Italian style station building here on the right.

The station was operated jointly by the Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00235.jpg
HCC00489. The high level approach road built in the mid-1880s when platforms and sidings were constructed to the front of the 1855 Italian style station building.

The station was operated jointly by the London & Lancashire Railway and the Great…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00234.jpg
The arrival of the Prince of Wales for the opening of the Town Hall in August 1863. A rare image of the 1855 station with the original curving carriage drive from opposite the bottom of Horton Strret to a central portico. When the station was…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00229.jpg
An unusual triangular station built by the GNR in 1879 with buildings on all three platforms at the junctions of the Bradford – Halifax (GNR route), Bradford – Keighley and Halifax - Keighley lines, seen here the Halifax – Keighley platform early…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00228.jpg
A passenger service approaching Bradford on the GNR’s Queensbury line with the branch to City Roads Goods which had opened in 1876 joining on the right. Horton Park Station is just visible beyond the last carriage, this had opened in 1880 and was…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00227.jpg
The station opened in 1878 and was built as an interchange station between the GNR’s Bradford – Leeds line and their Quensbury lines so that passengers could change between the lines without having to go into Exchange Station. It closed in 1952 due…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00226.jpg
An intermediate station on the GNR’s loop line from Laisterdyke to Shipley which had opened in 1875. The station here opened at the same but closing to passengers in 1931 and to goods in 1964 and the line finally closed over its whole length in1968.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00225.jpg
An intermediate station on the GNR’s loop line from Laisterdyke to Shipley which had opened in 1875. The station here opened three years later in 1878 and closed to passengers in1931 and to goods in 1964 and the line finally closed over its whole…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00224.jpg
The station, which had been known as Shipley Bridge Street, was the terminus of a loop line built by the GNR from Laisterdyke opening in 1875 with intermediate stations at Eccleshill, Idle and Thackley The station closed to passengers in 1931 and to…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/LYR00180.jpg
LYRS 3462n - C.1927. Halifax St Paul's Coal Depot - general view of depot including track, wagons and buildings. The joint L&YR and GNR line opened in 1890 from a junction at Holmfield on the Halifax - Queensbury line up to a terminus station known…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/LYR00179.jpg
LYRS 3572 - Wheatley Viaduct, tunnel & goods yard in a panoramic view. The joint L&YR and GNR line opened in 1890 from a junction at Holmfield on the Halifax - Queensbury line up to a terminus station known as St Pauls on Parkinson Lane near King…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/LYR00177.jpg
LYRS 4266 - 1930. General view of station platforms and canopies and the unusual signal box looking south with the goods yard beyond. The station opened for goods traffic in 1874 when the line to Holmfield was constructed and for passengers in 1880…
Output Formats

atom, csv, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2