Browse Items (14 total)

  • Tags: Holme House

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/RAW00103.jpg
Date unknown but between construction of Riverside School in 1908/9 and the Picture House in 1921. The dark wooden building on the other side of the road to Hope Chapel was the Black & White Cafe.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/ALC06355.jpg
This photo looks to be taken on Holme Street with the school on the left and Holme House on the right. Were they on their way to Westerman's studio for the wedding photograph? The shed in the background advertising cement would probably have been…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/ALC05009.jpg
The message of Eat More Fruit and Keep Fit was certainly better than another fad of the 1920s, which advised people to actively smoke instead of eating, as it was though to help some physical problems. Many began using them as an appetite suppressant…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/ALC00414.jpg
Bottom centre the passenger station and to its left the large railway warehouse and goods sidings. Above them can be seen Riverside School, originally Hebden Bridge Grammar School which opened 1909. At the top of Station Road by Princes Bridge is…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/ALC00413.jpg
View across the railway station to the town. The passenger station, re-built 1891/2, wedged between Victoria Mill to its right and the large railway warehouse to the left and beyond it Crossley Mill. Bottom right the Crow Nest Works of the joint…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/ALC00407.jpg
ALC00407. General town view c.1900. The new Birchcliffe Baptist Chapel (1899) just visible on the righthand hillside above Stubbings School but Riverside School (1908/9) being built on the land above the houses in the foreground. The Council Offices…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/ALC00404.jpg
General view from Fairfield c.1880. In the centre is Pallis or Pallisser House; the pallisser was responsible for looking after the fence around the medieval deer park. The blur of white is smoke or steam from a train in the cutting. Centre right the…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/ALC00355.jpg
Rear of Holme House in the foreground and above it the now demolished mill on Bridge Gate; centre right the Hole-in-the-Wall hotel. Date unknown but prior to the demolition in 1931 of the building on Bridge Gate at its junction with New Road.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/ALC00345.jpg
ALC00345. West side of the festival arch for the coronation of George V in June 1911 looking through to Holme House. This side was lit by gas whilst the other was lit by electricity.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/HLS01108.jpg
The low white building in the foreground is Palace House, after which the road is named. The large building in the foreground on the left is the Roman Catholic Church which was built 1896 and closed in 1991.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/HLS00317.jpg
Hebden Royd U.D. Leeds-Halifax-Preston Trunk Road A646, Caldene Bridge-Bridge Gate Reconstruction Scheme. Improvement at Memorial Gardens, Hebden Bridge. 1951/52 Estimates. To the right of Holme House the gable of Riverside School.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/HBC00854.jpg
The arch was erected as part of the celebrations marking the Coronation of King George V and Queen Mary in 1911. On this side it was lit by electricity and on the other side by gas.
Output Formats

atom, csv, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2