Browse Items (16 total)

  • Tags: Island Platform

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00242.jpg
The recently restored platforms and canopies looking down the line towards Beacon Hill Tunnel. To the right the up line ansd site of the up loop and to the left the former Platform 3 now along with the station building used in connection with Eureka…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00232.jpg
On the Halifax-Bradford line at its junction with the Spen Valley Line. The station opened in July 1848 the same time as the line between the junction and Bradford. As well as an important junction station it also served the Low Moor Ironworks which…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00231.jpg
On the ‘short line’ between Bradford & Leeds, built by the Leeds Bradford & Halifax Junction Railway, which opened in 1854 and was operated from the start by the Great Northern Railway who subsequently acquired it. The station opened with the line…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00212.jpg
On the GNR line between Keighley and Queensbury where it connected with lines to Bradford and Halifax. The station opened with the line in 1884 and closed in 1955 at the same time as the line closed to passenger traffic, closing to all traffic in…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00200.jpg
The Leeds & Bradford Extension Railway, acquired by the MR, between Shipley and Colne opened through Keighley in 1847 giving the town its first station. The station seen here with a large island platform dates from 1883 and is on the opposite side of…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00176.jpg
The first station here on the MR Aire Valley line opened in 1846 on completion of the Leeds & Bradford Railway and known originally as Calverley Bridge. The station was completely re-built c.1900 when the line was quadrupled with the main station…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00175.jpg
The first station here, known as Newlay, on the Leeds & Bradford Railway’s Aire Valley line opened in 1846 but the station seen here, possibly in MR days (ie pre-1923), dates from quadrupling the line in 1905 having been re-named Newlay & Horsforth…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00173.jpg
The first station was built here when the line opened in 1846 and was rebuilt, seen here looking towards Leeds, when the line was quadrupled in about 1905. The station closed in 1965.

A station at nearby Kirkstall Forge existed from 1860 to 1905…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00159.jpg
On the GNR ‘short line’ from Leeds Central to Bradford the station opened with the line in 1854. To the west of the station there was the junction with the Pudsey loop line which had opened in 1893 and closed in 1965. Bramley station closed in 1966…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00138.jpg
Holbeck Low Level Station seen here and Holbeck High Level Station on the higher level line above it were built by separate railway companies and operated as separate stations up until nationalisation in 1948. The only external access was by the…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00133.jpg
A North Eastern Railway Leeds to Edinburgh service about to depart for York from New Station. The roof sign with its back to the station advertising Waddington Pianos was on New Station Street, off Boar Lane, which was the access to the station from…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00132.jpg
Seen here late 19th or early 20th century looking westwards with an NER train on the right. This view and the bridge across the lines remained little changed until into the second half of the 20th century. The platform numbering is not sequential.…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00129.jpg
Built by the Midland Railway in 1846, with subsequent re-builds, it was the first station in Leeds centre. Up until the building of New Station in 1869 it was shared by the London & North Western Railway but thereafter it was used exclusively by the…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00122.jpg
The first station situated in Horbury Bridge opened with this section of the M&LR on 5th October 1840 and was named Horbury & Ossett. It was replaced in 1902 with the island platform station seen here, still in Horbury Bridge, and renamed Ossett &…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00121.jpg
A station opened here at the same time as this section of the M&LR on 5th October 1840 and was the station for Huddersfield, reputedly built for the Armytage family of Kirklees Hall. It was closed in 1950.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00119.jpg
The first station at Elland opened in October 1840 at the same time as the section of the M&LR between Hebden Bridge and Normanton and was immediately to the east of Elland Tunnel. It was rebuilt a little to the east in 1865 and then again in 1894 as…
Output Formats

atom, csv, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2