Browse Items (12 total)

  • Tags: Jack Bridge

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/KES00161.jpg
Jack Bridge cricket club won the cup in 1930. Here are three of the players. From L to R:

Jack Chambers, Clifford Crabtree and Rennie Thwaites.

They are pictured at Hudson Mill with the bottom of Pilling Steps behind the group. Note that they…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/KES00152.jpg
One of the players of Jack Bridge cricket team, Frank Thwaites pictured outside his home at Hudson Mill Cottages (now demolished). This indicates he didn’t neglect the whitening of his cricket boots even though he appears to be off to somewhere…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/KES00151.jpg
This is the Jack Bridge cricket team that played in the Hebden Bridge League. They won the cup in 1930. Their home ground was a field at Goose Hey, near Smithy Lane.

Most of the players would have worked at Jack Bridge mill. Pictured are:

Back…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DEF00124.jpg
This mill was built as a steam powered mill in 1861 and was the last mill to be built in the Colden Valley.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/RAW00110.jpg
At the top of Colden Clough was Jack Bridge Mill. Production at the mill ceased early 20th century but it wasn't demolished until many years later. Colden School is to the left of the road. On the left of the picture you can just make out Broadstone…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/ALC05168.jpg
In the foreground is Colden Water, the houses top right are Lower Smithy. Colden school is to the right of the mill chimney

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/ALC05167.jpg
In the 1960's before Moderna Blankets a company called D.E.Stuttard Ltd made oil fired boilers called 'Desomatic'. R Thomas 01422 846392 as a brass plate which was attached to the boilers. Ref: 037.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/ALC00838.jpg
An early steam powered mill, built in 1861 by Colden Cotton & Commercial Company Limited, was the last to be built in the Colden Valley. It was demolished in the 1970s following a fire. Colden School can be seen left of centre. On the very left of…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/ALC00787.jpg
Jean Forrest Recalls
Jack Bridge Mill was built in 1861 as a steam powered spinning mill with twin Lancashire boilers and a beam engine, all buildings being on one level. In 1862 a large weaving shed was added, at that time the largest in the valley…
Output Formats

atom, csv, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2