Browse Items (42 total)

  • Tags: Lamp

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00229.jpg
An unusual triangular station built by the GNR in 1879 with buildings on all three platforms at the junctions of the Bradford – Halifax (GNR route), Bradford – Keighley and Halifax - Keighley lines, seen here the Halifax – Keighley platform early…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00225.jpg
An intermediate station on the GNR’s loop line from Laisterdyke to Shipley which had opened in 1875. The station here opened three years later in 1878 and closed to passengers in1931 and to goods in 1964 and the line finally closed over its whole…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00222.jpg
The first station out of Bradford on the Midland’s line towards Shipley it was opened in 1868 and closed nearly a hundred years later in 1965. Seen here on the right is the sizeable Manningham Motive Power Depot which closed in 1967 and then…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00198.jpg
Known as Grassington & Threshfield Station it was the terminus of the Yorkshire Dales Railway and opened with the line from Embsay Junction on the MR’s Ilkley Skipton Line in 1902; it was operated throughout by the MR. Regular passenger services were…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00196.jpg
An intermediate station on the MR’s Ilkley – Skipton line it opened with the line in 1888. The great popularity of Bolton Abbey made it a very busy station particularly in summer with excursion trains of several railway companies; it was also the…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00195.jpg
An intermediate station on the MR’s Ilkley – Skipton line it opened with the line in 1888. The station closed with the line in 1965 and the station buildings subsequently demolished and the site is now a housing estate.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00194.jpg
The western terminus of the ‘Otley & Ilkley Joint Railway’ the joint MR/NER station opened with the line in 1865. In 1888 the MR opened a line from Ilkley to Skipton with their own through platforms which were regarded as a separate station from the…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00192.jpg
The station on the MR/NER ‘Otley & Ilkley Joint Railway ‘opened at the same time as the line in August 1865. The station was de-staffed in 1968 and the buildings demolished and replaced by bus stop style shelters, the line was electrified in 1994/5.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00191.jpg
The station seen here in MR days is on the MR’s Shipley – Guiseley line and opened at the same time as the line in 1876 and was closed in 1953 and the buildings subsequently demolished. An unstaffed station was re-opened in 1973 and the line, now…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00190.jpg
The station on the MR’s Shipley – Guiseley line opened at the same time as the line in 1876 and was closed in 1953 and the buildings subsequently demolished. An unstaffed station was re-opened in 1973 and the line, now electrified but reduced to…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00189.jpg
The station on the MR’s Shipley – Guiseley line opened at the same time as the line in 1876 and was closed in 1940 and the building subsequently demolished. The line, now electrified but reduced to single track, remains in use for Bradford Forster…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00188.jpg
The MR’s branch from the Otley & Ilkley Joint Railway to their Aire Valley line at Apperley Junction had opened in 1865 and the station at Guiseley was opened at the same time. The connection to the Aire Valley line was Leeds facing which meant that…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00187.jpg
The MR’s branch from their Aire Valley line at Apperley Junction to the Otley & Ilkley Joint Railway had opened in 1865 but the station at Menston wasn’t opened until August 1875. North East of the station at Menston Junction, where there had been a…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00185.jpg
The Otley Branch from Arthington on the Leeds-Harrogate line was opened by the NER in February 1865 with the station at Otley. A few months later the line was extended on from Otley to Ilkley by the MR/NER ‘Otley & Ilkley Joint Railway’ and…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00184.jpg
The first station here, known as Pool, opened with the Leeds & Thirsk Railway in 1849 but was replaced a little to the south by the triangular junction station seen here when the NER opened their Otley Branch in 1865; it was re-named Arthington as a…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00183.jpg
The station on the section of the Leeds & Bradford Extension Railway between Skipton and Colne opened 1848 with the line. On the Colne side of the station was the junction for the Barnoldswick Branch. The station was closed in 1970 at the same time…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00182.jpg
The station on the section of the Leeds & Bradford Extension Railway between Skipton and Colne opened 1848 but up to 1937 was simply known as Thornton. The station was closed in 1970 at the same time as the line between Skipton and Colne but there is…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00181.jpg
The station on the section of the Leeds & Bradford Extension Railway between Skipton and Colne opened 1848 and was closed in 1952. The line between the two towns closed in 1970 but there is a campaign to get it re-opened.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00180.jpg
The station seen here is Bingley’s second station and was opened in 1892 replacing the earlier station which was a little to the west near the Three Rise Locks on the Leeds & Liverpool Canal. It remains open.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00179.jpg
The station on the Leeds & Bradford Extension Railway between Shipley and Colne opened at the same time as the section of the line between Shipley and Keighley in March 1847. The station on its last day as seen here was near the Bingley Three Rise…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00178.jpg
The Leeds & Bradford Extension Railway between Shipley and Colne opened over its whole length in 1848 but a station wasn’t opened by the MR at Saltaire until 1856. This station was closed in 1965 and the buildings demolished in 1970. In 1984 a new…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00177.jpg
The station on the Leeds & Bradford Railway’s Aire Valley Line opened in July 1846 a few weeks after the line. This station was replaced in 1900 by the one seen here when the line was widened to four tracks. The station closed in 1965 but a new…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00176.jpg
The first station here on the MR Aire Valley line opened in 1846 on completion of the Leeds & Bradford Railway and known originally as Calverley Bridge. The station was completely re-built c.1900 when the line was quadrupled with the main station…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00172.jpg
The station on the Leeds & Bradford Railway’s Aire Valley Line opened at the same time as the line in 1846 which became part of the MR network. A new station, the Leeds Platform seen here, was built when the line was quadrupled in about 1905 and the…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00171.jpg
The station seen here looking very derelict. Originally just Armley it was the first station out of Leeds on the Bradford & Leeds Railway which opened via the Aire Valley in 1846 quickly being acquired by the MR. BR changed its name to Armley Canal…
Output Formats

atom, csv, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2