Browse Items (178 total)

  • Tags: Luddenden

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/KST00593.jpg
Grade II listed building..

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/HCC00107.jpg
Interior of St Mary's Church pre 1950s. The west and north galleries were removed in the 1950s and the pulpit in the 1990s. The chandelier has also now gone and some memorials have gone or been resited.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/HCC00106.jpg
Looking across to High Street from the bottom of Stocks Lane. Top left the Methodist chapel, closed 2011, and bottom left the Wolf Inn, demolished 1950s. Photo Christopher Cawkwell Collection.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/TWA00237.jpg
LUDDENDEN FOOT BRIDGE was erected in 1882 by the Luddenden Foot board of Health to replace an earlier bridge washed away in the flood of December 23rd, 1880. This bridge, known as the “currie” bridge, was built between 1790 and 1795, Sowerby paying…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/TWA00236.jpg
LUDDENDEN BRIDGE in Luddenden Village is mentioned in the will of Richard Stanclyffe of Halifax who in 1518 bequeathed “to the byldyng of Luddenden brige Xli (£10) if so be they take upon hand to bilde the brigge of stone.” This bridge and the…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/TWA00235.jpg
LOW BRIDGE or Hebble Bridge at the head of the Luddenden Dean Valley is a stone bridge of one arch. According to John Longbottom it was in former days “one of the most used ‘cross-country’ bridges for horsemen, vehicles, passengers, cattle-drovers,…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/TWA00227.jpg
HOLME HOUSE BRIDGE at Booth in Luddenden Dean was originally a pack-horse bridge but it was widened to the eastward. In 1776 Isaac Patchet, a carpenter, was paid 13s 7d on September 30th, 1795 for further repairs. The following resolution is…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/TWA00209.jpg
CATHERINE HOUSE BRIDGE in the upper Luddenden Dean valley is a picturesque stone footbridge formerly a wooden bridge.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/TWA00201.jpg
BILTON PIER in Luddenden Dene is the wooden bridge higher up the valley from Wade Wood. It was so called from the persistence of a Mr Bilton of Upper Mytholm Farm who objected to the stepping stones, formerly there, as not sufficient for safe…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/PNH00174.jpg
Gary Stringfellow is standing on the wall with the camera, next to him (in cap) is David Broughton, whose wife is sitting on the wall.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/RUD00109.jpg
These gentlemen could no doubt tell a tale or two. Has anyone any idea of identity or date? From a stereographic photograph.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/ALC00988.jpg
Delivery van of Henry Fray beef and pork butcher of Luddenden and Hebden Bridge. Fray sold out to Elias Hillyard just before WW2 and his name is just visible on the van side.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/ALC00987.jpg
Delivery van of Henry Fray beef and pork butcher of Luddenden and Hebden Bridge. Fray sold out to Elias Hillyard just before WW2 and his name is just visible on the van side.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/ALC00512.jpg
Holme House Mill, Booth, where water power was in use until 1941. The mill had been owned by the Ogden family since 1769: after it was dismantled it is believed the waterwheel was moved to Shibden Hall, Halifax. Old code No. AT930DO.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/HPC00200.jpg
NAME: DEAN MILLS
LOCATION: Booth
REF: LD 7
GRID REF: 044 274
CLASSIFICATION: A
CONDITION: Ruins
APPROX DATE OF SITE AND BUILDINGS: Late 18C/early 19C
DESCRIPTION/HISTORY: There was probably a fulling mill in this vicinity as far back as the…
Output Formats

atom, csv, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2