Browse Items (47 total)

  • Tags: M&LR

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/NGH00123.jpg
The shed was behind the station building and signal box on the down platform and separated from the main goods yard by the Halifax Branch. Rail access was from a westward facing junction off the down line. Following closure in September 1962 the…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/NGH00122.jpg
Probably after the station’s closure in September 1962. Viewed looking down the line and on the right part of the up platform and behind it carriages in a siding. Beyond the carriages is the disconnected junction and track bed of the Stainland Branch…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/NGH00121.jpg
29th October 1962. Unknown locomotive passing through the station on the up line. Bottom left part of the down platform and junction with the Halifax line. To its right carriages stored on a siding.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/NGH00120.jpg
The small timber Booking Office on the station approach road was opposite the east end of the down platform which is off the photo here to the left. On the left are the steps up to the footbridge which connected the platforms and was the only…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/NGH00119.jpg
The down platform buildings following closure of the station in September 1962. Apart from the signal box seen here which survived until 2009 the station was demolished in 1965.

The Second World War signal box was built by the LMS in 1941…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/NGH00118.jpg
Looking from the down platform obliquely up the line in the Sowerby Bridge direction. Off the up line carriages stored on a siding and between the signal gantries on the right the junction with the Halifax Branch. The station had closed the previous…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/NGH00117.jpg
Former LMS Fowler 2-6-4T number 42384 steams through the station which had closed in September 1962 on the down line probably in October 1962 having just rolled over the junction with the Halifax Branch visible centre right. The loco was taken out of…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/NGH00116.jpg
Looking across to the passenger shelter on the up platform probably in October 1962. Centre right carriages stored on a siding and far left a section of steps to the footbridge which connected the platforms with one another and with the Booking…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/NGH00115.jpg
Viewed looking up the line probably in October 1962 just over a month after closure. The footbridge connected the two platforms with the small Booking Office, off the photo far right, as well as with one another. Between the two signal gantries is…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/NGH00114.jpg
By the time of this photo the station had been closed for over a month and, apart from the signal box, was demolished in 1965.

The Second World War box was built by the LMS in 1941 replacing the L&YR 1878 box. To the far left of the photo part of…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/NGH00113.jpg
Probably seen here in October 1962 following closure of the station the previous month.

The Second World War box was built by the LMS in 1941 replacing the L&YR 1878 box. To the far left of the image part of the up platform building.

The…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/NGH00112.jpg
Although the station had been closed for over a month the flower bed here on the down platform still looks well cared for. The other side of the fence is the small timber Booking Office connected to both platforms by the footbridge.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/NGH00111.jpg
Looking down the line with the up platform on the right and the down platform passenger shelter on the left. The footbridge in the distance connected the two platforms with one another and with the small timber Booking Office adjacent to the down…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/NGH00110.jpg
View looking up the approach road. On the right is the small timber Booking Office and on the left the signal box and down platform buildings. The footbridge connected the platforms and was the only passenger access to the up platform.

The station…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/NGH00109.jpg
Carriages stored on a siding behind the up platform. Bottom left rails diverging for the junction for the Halifax Branch. The station had closed in September 1962 and was demolished in 1965.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/NGH00108.jpg
A former LMS Fowler Class 4F number 44457 passing through Greetland Station on the down line after closure of the station in September 1962. The loco went to the scrap yard in October 1964.

On the left behind the water turret carriages are stored…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/NGH00107.jpg
The small timber Booking Office set back from the east end of the down platform, the two separated by the station approach road which can just be discerned between the picket fence and the building. On the left can be seen the steps up to the…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/NGH00106.jpg
The Second World War box was built by the LMS in 1941, described as an A.R.P. Box, and replaced the L&YR 1878 box. To the far left of the image part of the down platform building.

The withdrawal of services between Halifax and Huddersfield in…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/NGH00105.jpg
View of the goods yard or sidings looking down the line in the Elland direction. The station closed in 1962 and an oil terminal was built on the site of the goods yard.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00126.jpg
Normanton Station was opened on 30th June 1840 by the North Midland Railway, later a constituent part of the Midland Railway, on its Leeds-Derby line and on the same day the York & North Midland Railway opened between Normanton and York and this was…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00125.jpg
The station was opened by the M&LR at the same time as the section of its line between Hebden Bridge and Normanton and was Wakefield’s only station until Westgate Station was opened in 1867. The station was rebuilt in 1854 and is seen here late 19th…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00124.jpg
The station was opened by the M&LR at the same time as the section of its line between Hebden Bridge and Normanton and was Wakefield’s only station until Westgate Station was opened in 1867. The station was rebuilt in 1854 and its frontage seen here…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00123.jpg
The station was opened by the L&YR on 1st January 1850 about a mile east of their Horbury & Ossett Station at the junction of their new Barnsley Branch with original M&LR line. The station closed in 1929 but was replaced by a new station on the main…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00122.jpg
The first station situated in Horbury Bridge opened with this section of the M&LR on 5th October 1840 and was named Horbury & Ossett. It was replaced in 1902 with the island platform station seen here, still in Horbury Bridge, and renamed Ossett &…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00121.jpg
A station opened here at the same time as this section of the M&LR on 5th October 1840 and was the station for Huddersfield, reputedly built for the Armytage family of Kirklees Hall. It was closed in 1950.
Output Formats

atom, csv, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2