Browse Items (32 total)

  • Tags: Midgley

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/HOL00163.jpg
Back Row, Left to Right: Tom Pettingell; Joe Howarth; Roderick Fisher; Albert Mitchell. Front row: Jack Wilkes; George Hayes; Verney Sykes; Harold Fielden.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/HCC00116.jpg
Site of the pulpit in the centre and the choir pews being dismsntled in 1994.

The first chapel in the village, Union Chapel, was built in 1818 at a cost of £400 and replaced by Providence Chapel in 1883, built at a cost of £1420. The chapel could…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/HCC00115.jpg
http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/HCC00115. The pulpit, choir pews and organ during course of being dismantled in 1994.

The first chapel in the village, Union Chapel, was built in 1818 at a cost of £400 and replaced by Providence Chapel in…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/HCC00114.jpg
The body of the Chapel whilst in course of dismantling.

The first chapel in the village, Union Chapel, was built in 1818 at a cost of £400 and replaced by Providence Chapel in 1883, built at a cost of £1420. The chapel could hold 500/700 people…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/HCC00113.jpg
Organ and pulpit.

The first chapel in the village, Union Chapel, was built in 1818 at a cost of £400 and replaced by Providence Chapel in 1883, built at a cost of £1420. The chapel could hold 500/700 people and there were six class rooms and a…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/HCC00112.jpg
The entrance door on the left with the steps up to the Chapel which as on the first floor.

The first chapel in the village, Union Chapel, was built in 1818 at a cost of £400 and replaced by Providence Chapel in 1883, built at a cost of £1420. The…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/HCC00111.jpg
Looking up to the rear gallery.

The first chapel in the village, Union Chapel, was built in 1818 at a cost of £400 and replaced by Providence Chapel in 1883, built at a cost of £1420. The chapel could hold 500/700 people and there were six class…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/HCC00110.jpg
The Communion Table.

The first chapel in the village, Union Chapel, was built in 1818 at a cost of £400 and replaced by Providence Chapel in 1883, built at a cost of £1420. The chapel could hold 500/700 people and there were six class rooms and a…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/HCC00109.jpg
Interior of the chapel following closure. The organ and choir pews.

The first chapel in the village, Union Chapel, was built in 1818 at a cost of £400 and replaced by Providence Chapel in 1883, built at a cost of £1420. The last service was held…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/HCC00108.jpg
Interior of the chapel following closure. Looking towards the organ and pulpit; the stairs to the right ran down to the vestry.

The first chapel in the village, Union Chapel, was built in 1818 at a cost of £400 and replaced by Providence Chapel in…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/WAO00180.jpg
Postcard with July 1972, Exeter, postmark.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/WAO00153.jpg
Postcard with October 1904 postmark. A busy small industrial village at the time this photo was taken, but all the mills have now gone. On the hillside is Brearley House built in 1841 and not to be confused with the older nearby Brearley Hall. The…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/WAO00148.jpg
Undated postcard of Brearley in the valley bottom and Midgley on the hillside above. Brearley House can be seen amongst the trees in the centre but the mills have now gone.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/HLS01268.jpg
The sketch and description were originally published in The Halifax Courier in 1912-1913. From the point of view of preservation it is one of the finest local old buildings. Almost square, it is adorned by eleven stone-pinnacled gables and two…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/HLS01267.jpg
The sketch and description were originally published in The Halifax Courier in 1912-1913. The fact that most local townships have a Great House lends confirmation to the idea that at some time they were used as minor manor homes. The Midgley Great…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/HLS00359.jpg
For information about the house please see: http://www.calderdale.gov.uk/wtw/search/controlservlet?PageId=Detail&DocId=102264

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/EWA00115.jpg
The timber framed and stone-clad Cliffe Hill barn probably dates to the early 17th century with late 18th century alterations. The archway is circa 1700, and the farmhouse has a date stone “INMN 1601”.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/ANP00136.jpg
Hathershelf Scout is in the far distance

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/ANP00134.jpg
Brownhill and Tincell off Thorney Lane, Midgeley
Output Formats

atom, csv, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2