Browse Items (42 total)

  • Tags: Named mill

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/CVH00146.jpg
Where did that name come from, can anyone help? St johns Church is at the bottom of the picture, with Church Bank Mill behind, beyond that Cragg School.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/CVH00117.jpg
An interesting shot with St John's church in the valley, and Church Bank Mill with the school behind it. Note how bare the hillside looks. Turvin Mill is to the right.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DEF00290.jpg
Early 1960s looking down onto Bridge Lanes centre right, to the left Adelaide Street and Bankfoot Garage with Bankfoot Mill.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/RAW00104.jpg
Centre left is Acre Mill of Cape Asbestos which was demolished in 1979 by which time it was disused. Postcard.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/KEC00322.jpg
Cape Asbestos, Old Town near Hebden Bridge Part of the Hebden Bridge Local History Society Archive

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/KEC00322.jpg
The mill at Chiserley, Old Town gained notoriety as 'The Killer Mill, as many of its worker contracted asbestosis through breathing in asbestos dust. The mill closed in 1970 but wasn't largely demolished until 1978/9. Part of the Hebden Bridge Local…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/KEC00319.jpg
On the skyline the now demolished Acre mill. Part of the Hebden Bridge Local History Society Archive

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/KEC00176.jpg
Bankfoot House and Adelaide Street on the left with Bankfoot Mill on the right, the mill was demolished in the 1970s. Beyond the trees in the centre Brown's engineering works just visible. Part of the Hebden Bridge Local History Society Archive

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/KEC00156.jpg
Mytholm Hall is centre picture with St James Church behind and the long demolished Bankfoot Mill to its right. Heptonstall Church at the top of the picture. The hall was demolished in 1969 to make way for accommodation for the elderly. Part of the…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/KEC00155.jpg
Mytholm Hall is centre picture with St James Church behind and the long demolished Bankfoot Mill to its right. You can just see Heptonstall Church at the top of the picture. The hall was demolished in 1969 to make way for accommodation for the…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/EIL00302.jpg
A poor quality postcard, but interesting for its content. Bankfoot Mill is still intact but Eaves Mills have gone and the estate is now built.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/ALC05135.jpg
Many changes have transformed the scene at Old Town, viewed here in the early years of the last century. The big mill an the right is Acre Mill, which was a weaving mill, later owned by Cape Asbestos; the smaller mill on the left of it was the…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/ALC05131.jpg
Towards the right the gabled building is Walker Lane Methodist Chapel, and to the left can be seen part of Acre Mill. Coronation Terrace is under construction.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/ALC00422.jpg
The steel bow string bridge was designed by George Stephenson and was one of the earliest of its type. He was employed by Manchester & Leeds Railway when the line was built in the late 1830's. The line was opened in October 1840 except for the…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/ALC00393.jpg
ALC00393. In the centre is Heath House and the track going off to the right leads goes up the Colden Valley to Jack Bridge.Winding up the hillside Mytholm Steeps which in pack-horse days was the main route between Hebden Bridge and Burnley. In the…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/ALC00392.jpg
Date unknown. In the centre the engineering works of Pickles, later Browns, and now demolished. The Parish Church of St James to the right was built in 1832, and to the right of that is Mytholm Hall.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/ALC00391.jpg
c. 1900 view across Mytholm looking up Colden Valley. On the right Mytholm Hall with St James Church behind. The hall was demolished late 1960s and replaced with accommodation for the elderly. Above the church are Eaves Lower and Upper Mills…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/ALC00390.jpg
Looking across Mytholm to the Steeps up to Blackshawhead. In the foreground the canal and towpath and centre right Mytholm Hall is just visible. In the foreground Stubbings Holme Dyeworks and above it Brown's factory, both now long gone.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/ALC00389.jpg
The blocks of flats at Mytholm Close, replaced early 21st with houses. Behind left is Bankfoot Mill which was demolished in 1971 and centre right Bridge Lanes and the bottom of Heptonstall Road.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/ALC00342.jpg
Looking down towards Bankfoot with well spaced gas lamps. Bankfoot House on the left and Bankfoot Dyeworks centre right. The days before 'smoke free zones' with smoke coming from the chimneys of several houses on the hillside. The car, perhaps being…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/ALC00249.jpg
Across the centre is Acre Mill of Cape Asbestos. Known as 'The Killer Mill' after the asbestosis suffered by its workers due to breathing in asbestos dust. It closed in 1970 and was demolished in 1979 apart from the building seen down the centre of…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/JSB00212.jpg
The building on the right of the picture is the Hare and hounds and the large mill to the left is Acre Mill.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/HLS05094.jpg
Looking down towards Bankfoot with well spaced gas lamps. Bankfoot House on the left and Bankfoot Dyeworks centre right. The days before 'smoke free zones' with smoke coming from the chimneys of several houses on the hillside. The car, perhaps being…
Output Formats

atom, csv, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2