Browse Items (10 total)

  • Tags: Noticeboard

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00213.jpg
The original station here was built in 1846 by the Leeds & Bradford Railway which had been formed to connect the two towns by railway along the Aire Valley. The company was acquired by the MR in 1853 who rebuilt the station seen here and this in turn…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00175.jpg
The first station here, known as Newlay, on the Leeds & Bradford Railway’s Aire Valley line opened in 1846 but the station seen here, possibly in MR days (ie pre-1923), dates from quadrupling the line in 1905 having been re-named Newlay & Horsforth…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00172.jpg
The station on the Leeds & Bradford Railway’s Aire Valley Line opened at the same time as the line in 1846 which became part of the MR network. A new station, the Leeds Platform seen here, was built when the line was quadrupled in about 1905 and the…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00164.jpg
The station on the LNWR Leeds-Huddersfield-Manchester line opened in 1848. In 1882 to overcome congestion on the joint approach to Wellington and New Stations the LNWR built a separate approach, which included the Farnley Viaduct, and the station was…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00161.jpg
The station on the GNR ‘short line’ between Leeds Central and Bradford Exchange had opened at the same time as the line in 1854. In 1878 a single track branch was opened from Stanningley to Pudsey but this was disconnected at Pudsey in 1893 when the…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00158.jpg
After Holbeck High level this was the first station out of Leeds Central on the GNR ‘short line’ to Bradford which had opened in 1854. The line was also used by the L&YR for their Leeds traffic from Bradford, Halifax and the west.The timetable…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00148.jpg
The first station on the NER Wetherby line after it branched off the Leeds-York/Selby line at Cross Gates but it was nearly ¾ mile from the village of that name. It opened at the same time as the line in 1876 and closed with the line in 1964. It’s…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00147.jpg
The attractively decorated interior of the entrance porch to the station with staff posing for the camera in NER days.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00126.jpg
Normanton Station was opened on 30th June 1840 by the North Midland Railway, later a constituent part of the Midland Railway, on its Leeds-Derby line and on the same day the York & North Midland Railway opened between Normanton and York and this was…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00122.jpg
The first station situated in Horbury Bridge opened with this section of the M&LR on 5th October 1840 and was named Horbury & Ossett. It was replaced in 1902 with the island platform station seen here, still in Horbury Bridge, and renamed Ossett &…
Output Formats

atom, csv, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2