Browse Items (26 total)

  • Tags: Packhorse Bridge
The timber bridge which gave its name to the town probably stood a little further upstream than the present stone structure which dates from about 1510. Legacies financed the construction: for example, James Grenewode of Wadsworth left 3s. 4d to the…
Looking down Hebden Water towards its confluence with the Calder. The buildings immediate right have been replaced by purpose built shops and offices and above them the former Council Offices. The chimney of Bridge Mill on the left.
The Old Bridge onto Bridge Gate. The buildings seen either side have now gone. The house on the left of the bridge used to store their coal under the arch at this end of the bridge.
The white building on the left has been demolished and has been replaced by a courtyard area.
On the left is the Old Bridge. Many of the buildings opposite have been demolished giving way to the Riverside Walk.
Looking up towards the Old Bridge. The buildings on the right are on Bridge Gate.
Taken from the Old Bridge, the Buttress climbs up to Heptonstall Road. The Hole in the Wall in on the right and in between the start of Royd Terrace.
The Old Bridge originally built 1510 and repaired in 1602 and 1657 when it was described "in great ruin and decay". Seen here in about 1900 looking over to Buttress Brink, demolished 1960s, with the new 'Hole in the Wall' pub on the right.
The Old Bridge looking downstream towards West End. The plaques on the abutment record it was repaired in 1602 and 1657. The building on the left on Bridge Gate was Thomas Marshall, coal merchant, that building and the mill beyond have long been…
The old packhorse bridge in Hebden Bridge
The Council Offices are on the right with the old Packhorse Bridge, which gives the town its name, downstream.
The old 16th century packhorse bridge after which the town gets its name.
Undated postcard.

St Georges Square, Hardcastle Crags
Rochdale Canal, The 1510 Old Bridge
Output Formats

atom, csv, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2