Browse Items (62 total)

  • Tags: Passenger Train

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00301.jpg
The first station at Penistone on the Manchester Sheffield and Lincolnshire Railway’s (later Great Central) Sheffield – Manchester Woodhead line opened in 1845. When the L&YR line from Huddersfield to Penistone opened in 1850 it joined the Woodhead…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00296.jpg
The station at the junction with the Holmfirth Branch opened with the line and the Branch in 1850. The Branch closed in 1959 but the station survived both the closure and the Beeching cuts of the 1960s. Like other intermediate stations on the line it…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00292.jpg
The station, seen here in 1910, was the terminus of the 31/2 mile Branch. The Branch opened to goods traffic in 1868 and to passengers in 1869. Passenger services were withdrawn from the Branch in 1949 and it closed fully in 1965. The site is now…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00285.jpg
One of several stations in the civil parish of Saddleworth which, although on the western slopes of the South Pennines, was in the West Riding of Yorkshire up until local government re-organisation in 1974 when it passed to Greater Manchester.



The…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00284.jpg
One of several stations in the civil parish of Saddleworth which, although on the western slopes of the South Pennines, was in the West Riding of Yorkshire up until local government re-organisation in 1974 when it passed to Greater Manchester.



The…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00283.jpg
Marsden Station like other stations on the LNWR’s Huddersfield Manchester line along the Colne Valley opened with the line in 1849. It was enlarged in the mid-1890s when the line was increased from two to four tracks. It is seen here at an unknown…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00277.jpg
The image is taken from a postcard with August 1910 postmark.



When built in 1846/50 there was only one platform behind the magnificent station frontage and the station was not enlarged until 1886; in August 1885 during the enlargement construction…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00274.jpg
Kirkheaton Station was an intermediate station on the LNWR’s Kirkburton Branch. The station opened about the same time as the Branch in 1867. The line and station closed to passenger traffic in 1930 when the LNWR’s successor, the LMS, obtained a half…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00268.jpg
On the L&YR’s ‘Pickle Bridge’ line which opened in 1881 running from near Wyke on the Halifax-Bradford line to join the Calder Valley main line east of Brighouse. The station opened in 1881 at the same time as the line but ‘temporarily’ closed in…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00267.jpg
The station on the Halifax –Bradford line opened at the same time as the line in August 1850. The station was closed in 1965.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00231.jpg
On the ‘short line’ between Bradford & Leeds, built by the Leeds Bradford & Halifax Junction Railway, which opened in 1854 and was operated from the start by the Great Northern Railway who subsequently acquired it. The station opened with the line…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00228.jpg
A passenger service approaching Bradford on the GNR’s Queensbury line with the branch to City Roads Goods which had opened in 1876 joining on the right. Horton Park Station is just visible beyond the last carriage, this had opened in 1880 and was…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00224.jpg
The station, which had been known as Shipley Bridge Street, was the terminus of a loop line built by the GNR from Laisterdyke opening in 1875 with intermediate stations at Eccleshill, Idle and Thackley The station closed to passengers in 1931 and to…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00221.jpg
The first station out of Bradford on the Midland’s line towards Shipley it was opened in 1868 and closed nearly a hundred years later in 1965.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00219.jpg
A terminus station seen here after the introduction of DMUs so probably about 1960. The first station on the site was built in 1850 and operated by the L&YR but the impressive double vaulted train shed seen here dates from 1888 when the station was…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00216.jpg
The station here was originally built in 1846 by the Leeds & Bradford Railway which had been formed to connect the two towns with a railway along the Aire Valley; it was acquired by the MR in 1853 who rebuilt the station. It was intended that when…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00215.jpg
The station here was originally built in 1846 by the Leeds & Bradford Railway which had been formed to connect the two towns with a railway along the Aire Valley; it was acquired by the MR in 1853 who rebuilt the station. It was intended that when…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00188.jpg
The MR’s branch from the Otley & Ilkley Joint Railway to their Aire Valley line at Apperley Junction had opened in 1865 and the station at Guiseley was opened at the same time. The connection to the Aire Valley line was Leeds facing which meant that…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00167.jpg
Morly Low Station with excurtionists rushing to get on a LNWR Blackpool Special at Morley Feast. Towards the end of the 19th century it was common practice for railway companies to put on special trains for a town’s local holiday.

The word ‘Feast'…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00159.jpg
On the GNR ‘short line’ from Leeds Central to Bradford the station opened with the line in 1854. To the west of the station there was the junction with the Pudsey loop line which had opened in 1893 and closed in 1965. Bramley station closed in 1966…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00145.jpg
Originally on the Leeds & Selby Railway which opened in 1834 from Marsh Lane which was the first station in Leeds. However due to the machinations of George Hudson, the ‘Railway King’, it fell into disuse between 1840 and 1850 and the line was not…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00144.jpg
The station, or probably a halt, on the Leeds Selby and York line was opened in 1930 by the LNER between Marsh Lane and Cross Gates stations following construction of a large housing estate. It was closed in 1960. The station is seen here possibly…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00133.jpg
A North Eastern Railway Leeds to Edinburgh service about to depart for York from New Station. The roof sign with its back to the station advertising Waddington Pianos was on New Station Street, off Boar Lane, which was the access to the station from…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00132.jpg
Seen here late 19th or early 20th century looking westwards with an NER train on the right. This view and the bridge across the lines remained little changed until into the second half of the 20th century. The platform numbering is not sequential.…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00129.jpg
Built by the Midland Railway in 1846, with subsequent re-builds, it was the first station in Leeds centre. Up until the building of New Station in 1869 it was shared by the London & North Western Railway but thereafter it was used exclusively by the…
Output Formats

atom, csv, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2