Browse Items (10 total)

  • Tags: Railings

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00213.jpg
The original station here was built in 1846 by the Leeds & Bradford Railway which had been formed to connect the two towns by railway along the Aire Valley. The company was acquired by the MR in 1853 who rebuilt the station seen here and this in turn…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00194.jpg
The western terminus of the ‘Otley & Ilkley Joint Railway’ the joint MR/NER station opened with the line in 1865. In 1888 the MR opened a line from Ilkley to Skipton with their own through platforms which were regarded as a separate station from the…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00184.jpg
The first station here, known as Pool, opened with the Leeds & Thirsk Railway in 1849 but was replaced a little to the south by the triangular junction station seen here when the NER opened their Otley Branch in 1865; it was re-named Arthington as a…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00178.jpg
The Leeds & Bradford Extension Railway between Shipley and Colne opened over its whole length in 1848 but a station wasn’t opened by the MR at Saltaire until 1856. This station was closed in 1965 and the buildings demolished in 1970. In 1984 a new…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00160.jpg
On the 'short line' from Bradford to Leeds Central Station opened in 1854 by the Leeds, Bradford & Halifax Junction Railway which was acquired by the GNR in 1865. The station closed in 1966 and the buildings were demolished; a new station with bus…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/WSC00173.jpg
The steps to the tenements at the bottom of the Buttress which were demolished in the mid-1960s as unfit for human habitation.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/WAO00158.jpg
Early 20th century postcard pre-1910, posted in Mytholmroyd. It was sent by a Mr & Mrs Hargreaves of 23 Hall Gate, Mytholmroyd. Is this them? Sending family postcards was quite common at the time.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/HLS05151.jpg
The grave of Samuel Sutcliffe who was murdered at Hawden Hole in February 1817. His murderers were hanged at York the following month.

The building barely visible on the left was the Black Bull Inn.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/HLS05069.jpg
Looking down Hebden Water to West End Bridge with Old Gate on the right. The building on the left, which is to the rear of Westbourne House, was converted into a dwelling in 2012 and windows added. Beyond the bridge is Central Dyeworks to which an…
Output Formats

atom, csv, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2