Browse Items (27 total)

  • Tags: Railway Sidings

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00232.jpg
On the Halifax-Bradford line at its junction with the Spen Valley Line. The station opened in July 1848 the same time as the line between the junction and Bradford. As well as an important junction station it also served the Low Moor Ironworks which…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00222.jpg
The first station out of Bradford on the Midland’s line towards Shipley it was opened in 1868 and closed nearly a hundred years later in 1965. Seen here on the right is the sizeable Manningham Motive Power Depot which closed in 1967 and then…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00119.jpg
The first station at Elland opened in October 1840 at the same time as the section of the M&LR between Hebden Bridge and Normanton and was immediately to the east of Elland Tunnel. It was rebuilt a little to the east in 1865 and then again in 1894 as…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00110.jpg
Post nationalisation in 1948 looking across to the 'up' Manchester platform. On the 'down' platform there are platform staff and porters' barrows. A goods or engineers train makes up steam by the station warehouse alongside a maintenance gang.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/THB00177.jpg
Cragg road runs across the bottom of the picture, and Dean Hey is to the bottom right of the picture.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/ALC00456.jpg
View from the north hillside across Station Road to the coal drops and the goods yard. Date unknown but the station closed in 1962 and the goods yard in 1965. The only evidence there once was a station here is in the name 'Station Road'.

The parish…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/ALC00431.jpg
ALC00431. Date unknown but the land in the foreground not yet levelled for the construction of the railway siding in 1919. Centre right

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/LYR00243.jpg
LYRS 2954 - Postcard view of the station, level crossing and signal box.

The station opened in 1849 and closed to passengers in 1958 and to goods in 1963. The road name, Station Approach, is the only indicator to its once existence but the level…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/LYR00233.jpg
LYRS 6034 - General view from above station looking north east towards Hebden Bridge. The passenger station had closed 12 years earlier and goods facilities were to be shortly withdrawn when this photo was taken in August 1963.

The station half way…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/LYR00210.jpg
LYRS2701. Early 20thc. pre-1908 view across the railway station to the town. The passenger station, re-built 1891/2, wedged between Victoria Mill to its right and the large railway warehouse to the left, the second bay of which built in 1884 still…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/LYR00149.jpg
LYRS 2599 - Stainland Station & Goods Shed with Railmotor No 10614 (LMS) in the later 1920s.

The Stainland Branch left the Calder Valley Main Line at Greetland and opened in 1875 up to near Brookroyd Mills at Holywell Green, whose owners, the…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/LYR00131.jpg
LYRS 3500 - Sowerby Bridge - panorama of trackwork. Note the unusual signals hanging from the gantry. The Goods Yards and Sidings were all lifted and the locomotive depot demolished in 1965 although the base of the water tower and coaling stage has…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/LYR00122.jpg
LYRS 2777n -1937. Sowerby Bridge - general view of track formation, loco depot, Goods Yard and West Signal Box taken from the top of Sowerby Tunnel.

Sowerby Bridge was the main operating centre for the Upper Calder Valley with a large engine and…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/LYR00109.jpg
LYRS 2584 - Ripponden Station - general view of Goods Shed & Yard. The Branch from Sowerby Bridge to Ripponden opened in 1878 and then on to Rishworth in 1881. Although double track only one had ever been commercially used. The original intention…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/MOT00146.jpg
General view of Todmorden from Sunnyside in the early 1900s, with the main Manchester to Leeds railway lines arcing away to the left. The triangle not yet developed here.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/GEE00106.jpg
The Goods Yard about 1900. The small town was dominated by its mills with the all important and well equipped goods yard between the main line and the river. The yard closed in 1965 and the site is now an industrial estate.
Photo courtesy Stephen Gee…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/GEE00105.jpg
Station Road from the hillside. The goods yard was later extended over the open land. The main line is hidden from view at the bottom but the footbridge connecting the two platforms is just visible next to the Booking Office. The station closed in…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/HLS05027.jpg
Enlarged extract from one of a series of Lithographs by A. F. Tait published in 1845 entitled "Views on the Manchester and Leeds Railway". The station opened in October 1840. Seen here the small station building on the 'Leeds line' is almost hidden…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/HLS05026.jpg
One of a series of Lithographs by A. F. Tait published in 1845 entitled "Views on the Manchester and Leeds Railway". The station opened in October 1840. To the left of the station the trestle bridge carrying the station road over the Calder and left…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/HLS00342.jpg
c. 1880. In the foreground the railway sidings which were constructed in 1877 and just visible to their right part of the station warehouse before it was extended in 1884. In the centre Crossley Mill and behind it Stubbings School (1878) and housing…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/HLS00195.jpg
In the foreground the station warehouse and sidings and above them across Calder Holmes is Crossley Mill.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/GMA00103.jpg
View of Mythomroyd showing Scarbottom Mill. Used as an illustration in Gertrude Attwood's book "A Village Childhood" c1937. Also a good view of the railway parcels shed and sorting sidings to the right of the station, both dismantled following…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DTA00101.jpg
1950s. The large station warehouse was built in two stages between 1877 and 1884/5. When goods facilities were withdrawn in 1966 it was let for general warehousing but was demolished following serious fire damage in 1969. During the 1960s houses were…
Output Formats

atom, csv, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2