Browse Items (54 total)

  • Tags: Railway Wagons

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00217.jpg
The approach to Forster Square Station in BR days. Date unknown but seemingly prior to dieselisation in the late ‘50s/early’60s. In the centre of the photo is Valley Road Power Station which closed in 1975 and was demolished in 1978.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00119.jpg
The first station at Elland opened in October 1840 at the same time as the section of the M&LR between Hebden Bridge and Normanton and was immediately to the east of Elland Tunnel. It was rebuilt a little to the east in 1865 and then again in 1894 as…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00110.jpg
Post nationalisation in 1948 looking across to the 'up' Manchester platform. On the 'down' platform there are platform staff and porters' barrows. A goods or engineers train makes up steam by the station warehouse alongside a maintenance gang.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/RDA00147.jpg
Accident at Stansfield Hall on 5th December 1904. Wagons on a heavy goods train broke loose coming down from Copy Pit to Portsmouth and the train divided into two parts. When the engines stopped at Stansfield Hall signals the detached wagons…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/RDA00101.jpg
A west bound goods train approaching Walsden Station. The station opened in 1845 and closed in 1961.
A new station with ‘bus stop’ style shelters was opened in 1990 but slightly to the east of the footbridge seen here to the right.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/WAO00253.jpg
A steam vehicle on Burnley Road passing tennis court and bowling green on Tillotson Holme and above long lines of railway goods wagons in the Station Goods Yard, closed 1962. St Mary's Church with its 126ft spire, demolished 1980, on the hillside

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/WAO00198.jpg
A diesel hauled goods train heading west.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/WAO00133.jpg
Across the lower part of the photo are Mytholmroyd Station and Goods Shed with the structures on the Manchester 'up' line supported on stilts and the platforms extending over the viaduct. In the centre of this photo can be seen St Michael’s Church…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/EIL00123.jpg
This train appears to be at a passing point on the track. The fields in the background might be useful in determining the location. The two men working the engine are possibly also represented in photo 21PC, although the engine doesn't appear to be…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/ALC00458.jpg
The station looking east in L&YR days. The canopies have all now gone along with the platform building on the left and the goods siding which is now the station car park.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/ALC00456.jpg
View from the north hillside across Station Road to the coal drops and the goods yard. Date unknown but the station closed in 1962 and the goods yard in 1965. The only evidence there once was a station here is in the name 'Station Road'.

The parish…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/LYR00273.jpg
LYRS 0467 - Aspinall 0-6-0ST No. unknown at the Goods Yard, including wagons for a Burnley based colliery. The yard closed to general goods in 1964 and to coal in 1972; it is now the station car park.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/LYR00250.jpg
LYRS 2793n - Date unknown but in LYR days pre-1922 The Goods Yard is now the Station Car Park and the canopies and signals as well as the buildings on the left hand platform have now all gone. Cross Stone Church on the skyline

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/LYR00247.jpg
LYRS 3523 - Road overbridge on the 'Copy Pit' line with a newly-built extension arch to accommodate a loop line; the contractor's wagons still there. The bridge near the Lancashire and Yorkshire county boundary is also known as Dean Farm Bridge as…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/LYR00243.jpg
LYRS 2954 - Postcard view of the station, level crossing and signal box.

The station opened in 1849 and closed to passengers in 1958 and to goods in 1963. The road name, Station Approach, is the only indicator to its once existence but the level…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/LYR00233.jpg
LYRS 6034 - General view from above station looking north east towards Hebden Bridge. The passenger station had closed 12 years earlier and goods facilities were to be shortly withdrawn when this photo was taken in August 1963.

The station half way…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/LYR00220.jpg
LYRS6050. The large double bay station warehouse in 1963 but with only one of the former three taking-in door hoists left. Goods facilities were withdrawn in 1966 and the warehouse let for general storage. It was demolished in 1969 following a…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/LYR00184.jpg
LYRS 4540 - 1951. General view of platform, buildings, canopy and goods yard looking towards Mytholmroyd as Stainer 4-6-0 5MT. No. 45201 approaches. The station closed to passengers in 1962 and to goods in 1965.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/LYR00182.jpg
LYRS 1442 - Hughes 0-8-0 Number 1357 heading a goods train between Luddendenfoot and Sowerby Tunnel. To the right of the funnel, St Walburga's Catholic Church on Burnley Road is just visible.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/LYR00180.jpg
LYRS 3462n - C.1927. Halifax St Paul's Coal Depot - general view of depot including track, wagons and buildings. The joint L&YR and GNR line opened in 1890 from a junction at Holmfield on the Halifax - Queensbury line up to a terminus station known…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/LYR00178.jpg
LYRS 2317 - John Crossley & Sons No 42 - part of 7-plank wagon in the private siding at North Bridge. The sidings have gone and the vast Dean Clough complex no longer manufactures carpets but is now in mixed commercial usage. longer

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/LYR00177.jpg
LYRS 4266 - 1930. General view of station platforms and canopies and the unusual signal box looking south with the goods yard beyond. The station opened for goods traffic in 1874 when the line to Holmfield was constructed and for passengers in 1880…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/LYR00176.jpg
LYRS 3831b - General view of station, unusual signal box and goods yard looking south. The station opened for goods traffic in 1874 when the line to Holmfield was constructed and for passengers in 1880 and closed to them in 1955 when the Queensbury…
Output Formats

atom, csv, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2