Browse Items (35 total)

  • Tags: Railway Warehouse

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00261.jpg
On the south side of Water Lane the depot consisted of two sizeable Goods Sheds and sidings; goods facilities were finally fully withdrawn in 1981. The original 1844 terminus station which became the Goods Office early 1850s was situate at the far…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00257.jpg
The roof showing signs of sagging and the yard cleared for temporary council public car parking.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00256.jpg
The shed on the north side of Water Lane was built by the L&YR about the 1850s. The original terminus station on the south side of Water Lane became the Goods Office at the same time. Today (2017) it stands derelict.

Centre left is the disused…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00255.jpg
View looking across Shaw Syke goods yard down to the GNR warehouse. Taken in April 2010 just after the yard had been cleared for temporary council public car parking. The remains of rails just visible between the cobbles.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00253.jpg
The now disused warehouse a little to the south of the station with the site of former sidings now car parking for Eureka Children's Museum.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00110.jpg
Post nationalisation in 1948 looking across to the 'up' Manchester platform. On the 'down' platform there are platform staff and porters' barrows. A goods or engineers train makes up steam by the station warehouse alongside a maintenance gang.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/KEC00350.jpg
Across Calder Holme is Crossley Mill destroyed by fire in 1964; bottom right the two bays and hoist of the station warehouse destroyed by fire 1969. Part of the Hebden Bridge Local History Society Archive

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/ALC00454.jpg
Looking up towards the station. The large station warehouse is still there at the top but Local Authority housing not yet built on the land between Palace House Road and the line.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/ALC00453.jpg
1920s or '30s. By this time carting had been contracted out by the LMS and here to Robertshaw Bros. A mixture of vehicles and registration plates; with the exception of the second from the right which is a Huddersfield number the rest are all…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/ALC00414.jpg
Bottom centre the passenger station and to its left the large railway warehouse and goods sidings. Above them can be seen Riverside School, originally Hebden Bridge Grammar School which opened 1909. At the top of Station Road by Princes Bridge is…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/ALC00413.jpg
View across the railway station to the town. The passenger station, re-built 1891/2, wedged between Victoria Mill to its right and the large railway warehouse to the left and beyond it Crossley Mill. Bottom right the Crow Nest Works of the joint…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/ALC00321.jpg
An open top tram on Burnley Road looking up Station Road to the large station warehouse, early 20th century. The Halifax Corporation trams reached Hebden Bridge in November 1901. This postcard may have been taken to commemorate the inaugural run.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/ALC00232.jpg
An open top tram on Burnley Road looking up Station Road to the large station warehouse, early 20th century. The Halifax Corporation trams reached Hebden Bridge in November 1901.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/LYR00268.jpg
LYRS 8680 - The disused and now demolished warehouse looking down Station Approach towards the viaduct.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/LYR00267.jpg
LYRS 2804 - the disused and now demolished ‘up’ side Station Warehouse on Station Approach, opposite the rear of the ‘White Hart'.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/LYR00251.jpg
LYRS 2795 - This was the third station on the site and dates from 1881. Seen here in about 1910 looking west with Dobroyd Castle on the hillside. On the right the ‘down’ side warehouse and the carriages in the left hand bay would have formed a…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/LYR00223.jpg
LYRS 8453 - The Goods Yard looking north west from the westbound platform. Date unknown but the yard looks derelict and goods facilities were withdrawn in 1966. The warehouse was let for general storage but demolished following a serious fire in…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/LYR00222.jpg
LYRS 8452 -Date unknown but after the demolition of Victoria Mill in the later 1960s. General view of the Goods Warehouse, platforms, station buildings and canopies looking east. Only one of the former three taking-in door hoists on the warehouse…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/LYR00221.jpg
LYRS6051 - Goods facilities were withdrawn in 1966 and the goods yard closed and dismantled. The warehouse was let for general storage but was demolished in 1969 following a serious fire. The site is now the station car park. . The square wood clad…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/LYR00220.jpg
LYRS6050. The large double bay station warehouse in 1963 but with only one of the former three taking-in door hoists left. Goods facilities were withdrawn in 1966 and the warehouse let for general storage. It was demolished in 1969 following a…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/LYR00215.jpg
LYRS 4478 - General view of the 'up' platform, buildings and canopy in 1951 with westbound Stanier 4-6-0 Class No. 45421. The station warehouse to the left and Victoria Mill beyond were demolished in the late 1960s. The sleepers on the platform…
Output Formats

atom, csv, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2