Browse Items (64 total)

  • Tags: Semaphore Signals

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00232.jpg
On the Halifax-Bradford line at its junction with the Spen Valley Line. The station opened in July 1848 the same time as the line between the junction and Bradford. As well as an important junction station it also served the Low Moor Ironworks which…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00230.jpg
Looking in the Halifax direction with the north portal of Bowling Tunnel all but hidden by smoke. The line in the centre continues to Bradford Exchange and the line going off to the left is the Bowling Curve to Laisterdyke where it joined the…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00229.jpg
An unusual triangular station built by the GNR in 1879 with buildings on all three platforms at the junctions of the Bradford – Halifax (GNR route), Bradford – Keighley and Halifax - Keighley lines, seen here the Halifax – Keighley platform early…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00220.jpg
Looking out from the double vaulted train shed along the tracks which carried all of the terminus stations passenger traffic. As a result of line and station closures in the mid-1960s the traffic was considerably reduced and the station was…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00217.jpg
The approach to Forster Square Station in BR days. Date unknown but seemingly prior to dieselisation in the late ‘50s/early’60s. In the centre of the photo is Valley Road Power Station which closed in 1975 and was demolished in 1978.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00212.jpg
On the GNR line between Keighley and Queensbury where it connected with lines to Bradford and Halifax. The station opened with the line in 1884 and closed in 1955 at the same time as the line closed to passenger traffic, closing to all traffic in…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00211.jpg
On the GNR line between Keighley and Queensbury where it connected with lines to Bradford and Halifax. The station opened in 1886, two years after the line, and closed in 1955 at the same time as the line closed to passenger traffic, closing to all…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00197.jpg
An intermediate station on the MR’s Ilkley – Skipton line it opened with the line in 1888. Seen here in a very sorry condition probably after closure in 1965.

It was re-opened in 1981 by the Embsay & Bolton Abbey Steam Railway - …

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00195.jpg
An intermediate station on the MR’s Ilkley – Skipton line it opened with the line in 1888. The station closed with the line in 1965 and the station buildings subsequently demolished and the site is now a housing estate.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00192.jpg
The station on the MR/NER ‘Otley & Ilkley Joint Railway ‘opened at the same time as the line in August 1865. The station was de-staffed in 1968 and the buildings demolished and replaced by bus stop style shelters, the line was electrified in 1994/5.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00189.jpg
The station on the MR’s Shipley – Guiseley line opened at the same time as the line in 1876 and was closed in 1940 and the building subsequently demolished. The line, now electrified but reduced to single track, remains in use for Bradford Forster…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00183.jpg
The station on the section of the Leeds & Bradford Extension Railway between Skipton and Colne opened 1848 with the line. On the Colne side of the station was the junction for the Barnoldswick Branch. The station was closed in 1970 at the same time…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00178.jpg
The Leeds & Bradford Extension Railway between Shipley and Colne opened over its whole length in 1848 but a station wasn’t opened by the MR at Saltaire until 1856. This station was closed in 1965 and the buildings demolished in 1970. In 1984 a new…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00165.jpg
The station was on the Heaton Lodge & Wortley Railway from Huddersfield to Leeds, which always known as the ‘Leeds New Line’,and it opened at the same time as the line in 1900. Seen here pre-
First World War it only had a short existence being closed…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00156.jpg
An intermediate station on the Bradford, Wakefield & Leeds Railway between Leeds and Wakefield which opened in 1857 and became part of the GNR network in 1865. The station closed in 1964.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00153.jpg
The station seen here with very well maintained gardens was on the NER Castleford to Garforth single track line which opened in 1878 primarily for coal traffic and the Kippax coalfield. The line closed to passengers in 1951 and fully over its whole…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00116.jpg
Repairing the fence on the unusual viaduct platform. The station is well above the valley floor resulting in the platforms running along the length of the viaduct but they also overhung it supported by massive brackets. The now disused station…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/RDA00150.jpg
The Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway 'Copy Pit' Line between Todmorden and Burnley passing Wilson’s ‘bobbin mill'.

"Wilson's Bobbin Mill once dominated the village of Cornholme. The vast four-storey building, with its eye-catching clock bridge…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/RDA00141.jpg
Looking towards Hebden Bridge with the tall chimney of Calderside Mill and barely visible below it the road passing under Whiteley Arches. A railway signal can just be seen below the top row of houses.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/WAO00197.jpg
Looking up the line with the signal box on the left and the station building on the right.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/WAO00195.jpg
The main station building on the 'down' Leeds platform. The building is three storeys high and the Booking Office was on the ground floor. Passengers for the 'up' platform had to go upstairs to the second floor and then across a walkway under the…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/WAO00126.jpg
On the left workmen are repairing the viaduct fence. The platforms not only ran along the viaduct but also extended over the sides, supported by massive iron brackets, hence the reason for fencing instead of the usual stone parapet.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/KEC00347.jpg
Long lost scene. Far left the Crow Nest Gas Works, to the right semaphore signals and water turret, towards the centre the long demolished Victoria Mill and to its left the apex of the station warehouse demolished in 1969. Part of the Hebden Bridge…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/ALC00458.jpg
The station looking east in L&YR days. The canopies have all now gone along with the platform building on the left and the goods siding which is now the station car park.
Output Formats

atom, csv, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2