Browse Items (28 total)

  • Tags: Sidings

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/NGH00122.jpg
Probably after the station’s closure in September 1962. Viewed looking down the line and on the right part of the up platform and behind it carriages in a siding. Beyond the carriages is the disconnected junction and track bed of the Stainland Branch…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/NGH00115.jpg
Viewed looking up the line probably in October 1962 just over a month after closure. The footbridge connected the two platforms with the small Booking Office, off the photo far right, as well as with one another. Between the two signal gantries is…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00248.jpg
The high level access was built in the mid-1880s when the station was considerably enlarged including sidings, lines and platforms to the front of the station now, as seen here, car parking and access road to Eureka Children’s Museum. To the right a…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00232.jpg
On the Halifax-Bradford line at its junction with the Spen Valley Line. The station opened in July 1848 the same time as the line between the junction and Bradford. As well as an important junction station it also served the Low Moor Ironworks which…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00219.jpg
A terminus station seen here after the introduction of DMUs so probably about 1960. The first station on the site was built in 1850 and operated by the L&YR but the impressive double vaulted train shed seen here dates from 1888 when the station was…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00210.jpg
On the GNR line between Keighley and Queensbury where it connected with lines to Bradford and Halifax. The station opened with the line in 1884 and closed in 1955 at the same time as the line closed to passenger traffic, closing to all traffic in…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00207.jpg
The southern terminus of the single track Keighley & Worth Valley Railway opened in 1867 at the same time as the line, seen here looking towards Keighley possibly in MR days. The line was operated by the MR from the start and acquired by them in…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00197.jpg
An intermediate station on the MR’s Ilkley – Skipton line it opened with the line in 1888. Seen here in a very sorry condition probably after closure in 1965.

It was re-opened in 1981 by the Embsay & Bolton Abbey Steam Railway - …

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00169.jpg
The first station out of Leeds centre on the Leeds & Thirsk Railway which opened between the two towns via Harrogate and Ripon in 1848 but because of problems with Bramhope Tunnel at over two miles in length services didn’t start until the following…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00165.jpg
The station was on the Heaton Lodge & Wortley Railway from Huddersfield to Leeds, which always known as the ‘Leeds New Line’,and it opened at the same time as the line in 1900. Seen here pre-
First World War it only had a short existence being closed…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00157.jpg
On the GNR Leeds - King Cross main line only a few miles out of Leeds centre it opened in 1860 and closed 1953.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00104.jpg
The station warehouse, which was built in stages between 1877 and 1884, is seen here in 1967 following withdrawal of goods facilities the previous year. The goods yard is in process of being dismantled. The warehouse was let for general storage but…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/RDA00175.jpg
The small colliery at the summit of the Todmorden-Burnley line after which it is named. The steeply graded line was opened by the Lancashire Railway in 1849. Seen here looking NW towards Burnley. On the right people are walking on the…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/ALC00458.jpg
The station looking east in L&YR days. The canopies have all now gone along with the platform building on the left and the goods siding which is now the station car park.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/LYR00295.jpg
LYRS 6684 - The sidings have been recently lifted and the shed in a poor state of repair pending demolition.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/LYR00273.jpg
LYRS 0467 - Aspinall 0-6-0ST No. unknown at the Goods Yard, including wagons for a Burnley based colliery. The yard closed to general goods in 1964 and to coal in 1972; it is now the station car park.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/LYR00258.jpg
LYRS 4339 - General view of the platforms, buildings and canopies with a siding behind the 'down' platform. The siding has gone as have the canopies, most of the buildings and the water tank.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/LYR00250.jpg
LYRS 2793n - Date unknown but in LYR days pre-1922 The Goods Yard is now the Station Car Park and the canopies and signals as well as the buildings on the left hand platform have now all gone. Cross Stone Church on the skyline

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/LYR00233.jpg
LYRS 6034 - General view from above station looking north east towards Hebden Bridge. The passenger station had closed 12 years earlier and goods facilities were to be shortly withdrawn when this photo was taken in August 1963.

The station half way…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/LYR00215.jpg
LYRS 4478 - General view of the 'up' platform, buildings and canopy in 1951 with westbound Stanier 4-6-0 Class No. 45421. The station warehouse to the left and Victoria Mill beyond were demolished in the late 1960s. The sleepers on the platform…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/LYR00214.jpg
LYRS 2713 - General view of 'Up' platform looking west in 1976. The line into the disused sidings has not been lifted. Although a b&w photo the signage does not appear to be in BR's North Eastern Regions colours of white on tangerine as in a 1973…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/LYR00201.jpg
LYRS 2769 - Rear view of the 'up' platform Because the station was built on an embankment the buildings, including signal box, were supported on stilts. The 'up' platform was accessed by a covered walk way from the first floor of the three storey…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/LYR00200.jpg
LYRS 6061 - 1963. Buildings on Down side looking eastwards towards the sorting sidings beyond the signal box. The sidings and box have gone and the station has been unstaffed since 1985 and the unusual three storey Grade II listed station building…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/LYR00131.jpg
LYRS 3500 - Sowerby Bridge - panorama of trackwork. Note the unusual signals hanging from the gantry. The Goods Yards and Sidings were all lifted and the locomotive depot demolished in 1965 although the base of the water tower and coaling stage has…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/LYR00122.jpg
LYRS 2777n -1937. Sowerby Bridge - general view of track formation, loco depot, Goods Yard and West Signal Box taken from the top of Sowerby Tunnel.

Sowerby Bridge was the main operating centre for the Upper Calder Valley with a large engine and…
Output Formats

atom, csv, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2