Browse Items (28 total)

  • Tags: Signal Gantry

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/NGH00119.jpg
The down platform buildings following closure of the station in September 1962. Apart from the signal box seen here which survived until 2009 the station was demolished in 1965.

The Second World War signal box was built by the LMS in 1941…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/NGH00118.jpg
Looking from the down platform obliquely up the line in the Sowerby Bridge direction. Off the up line carriages stored on a siding and between the signal gantries on the right the junction with the Halifax Branch. The station had closed the previous…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/NGH00117.jpg
Former LMS Fowler 2-6-4T number 42384 steams through the station which had closed in September 1962 on the down line probably in October 1962 having just rolled over the junction with the Halifax Branch visible centre right. The loco was taken out of…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/NGH00116.jpg
Looking across to the passenger shelter on the up platform probably in October 1962. Centre right carriages stored on a siding and far left a section of steps to the footbridge which connected the platforms with one another and with the Booking…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/NGH00111.jpg
Looking down the line with the up platform on the right and the down platform passenger shelter on the left. The footbridge in the distance connected the two platforms with one another and with the small timber Booking Office adjacent to the down…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/NGH00109.jpg
Carriages stored on a siding behind the up platform. Bottom left rails diverging for the junction for the Halifax Branch. The station had closed in September 1962 and was demolished in 1965.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/NGH00108.jpg
A former LMS Fowler Class 4F number 44457 passing through Greetland Station on the down line after closure of the station in September 1962. The loco went to the scrap yard in October 1964.

On the left behind the water turret carriages are stored…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00232.jpg
On the Halifax-Bradford line at its junction with the Spen Valley Line. The station opened in July 1848 the same time as the line between the junction and Bradford. As well as an important junction station it also served the Low Moor Ironworks which…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00230.jpg
Looking in the Halifax direction with the north portal of Bowling Tunnel all but hidden by smoke. The line in the centre continues to Bradford Exchange and the line going off to the left is the Bowling Curve to Laisterdyke where it joined the…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00220.jpg
Looking out from the double vaulted train shed along the tracks which carried all of the terminus stations passenger traffic. As a result of line and station closures in the mid-1960s the traffic was considerably reduced and the station was…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00165.jpg
The station was on the Heaton Lodge & Wortley Railway from Huddersfield to Leeds, which always known as the ‘Leeds New Line’,and it opened at the same time as the line in 1900. Seen here pre-
First World War it only had a short existence being closed…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00162.jpg
In 1878 a branch from Stanningley on the GNR Leeds-Bradford ‘short line was opened up to the station here with an intermediate station at nearby Pudsey Lowtown. Then in 1893 a curve from Bramley to the Pudsey Branch was constructed which was then…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00156.jpg
An intermediate station on the Bradford, Wakefield & Leeds Railway between Leeds and Wakefield which opened in 1857 and became part of the GNR network in 1865. The station closed in 1964.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00145.jpg
Originally on the Leeds & Selby Railway which opened in 1834 from Marsh Lane which was the first station in Leeds. However due to the machinations of George Hudson, the ‘Railway King’, it fell into disuse between 1840 and 1850 and the line was not…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00118.jpg
The station on the M&LR’s Calder Valley Main Line was originally known as North Dean. It was opened in July 1844 on completion of the M&LR’s Halifax Branch which ran from a junction at North Dean up to a terminus station at Shaw Syke, south of…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/ALC00428.jpg
Looking from the top of Halifax Road towards the market place and the railway viaduct over Burnley Road. On the right the Town Hall and on the left is the Yorkshire Penny Bank.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/LYR00251.jpg
LYRS 2795 - This was the third station on the site and dates from 1881. Seen here in about 1910 looking west with Dobroyd Castle on the hillside. On the right the ‘down’ side warehouse and the carriages in the left hand bay would have formed a…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/LYR00240.jpg
LYRS 8707 - The Box at the Junction of the Stansfield or Todmorden Curve on the Todmorden - Burnley line with the spur up from Hall Royd Junction on the Leeds - Manchester line.

Passenger traffic over the Stansfield Curve ceased in 1965 and the…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/LYR00214.jpg
LYRS 2713 - General view of 'Up' platform looking west in 1976. The line into the disused sidings has not been lifted. Although a b&w photo the signage does not appear to be in BR's North Eastern Regions colours of white on tangerine as in a 1973…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/LYR00213.jpg
LYRS 2709 - General view of 'Up' platform looking east in 1976. The semaphore signals gantry visible beyond the end of the platform. Although a b&w photo the signage does not appear to be in BR's North Eastern Regions colours of white on tangerine as…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/JCA00322.jpg
Wigan and Preston lines to the left and the Blackburn Branch curving away to the right.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/JCA00320.jpg
Viewed from the Hindley and Wigan direction. To the right the line to Pendleton and Manchester, Bolton straight on and to Blackpool and Horwich on the left.
Output Formats

atom, csv, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2