Browse Items (93 total)

  • Tags: Signal box

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/NGH00119.jpg
The down platform buildings following closure of the station in September 1962. Apart from the signal box seen here which survived until 2009 the station was demolished in 1965.

The Second World War signal box was built by the LMS in 1941…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/NGH00117.jpg
Former LMS Fowler 2-6-4T number 42384 steams through the station which had closed in September 1962 on the down line probably in October 1962 having just rolled over the junction with the Halifax Branch visible centre right. The loco was taken out of…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/NGH00115.jpg
Viewed looking up the line probably in October 1962 just over a month after closure. The footbridge connected the two platforms with the small Booking Office, off the photo far right, as well as with one another. Between the two signal gantries is…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/NGH00114.jpg
By the time of this photo the station had been closed for over a month and, apart from the signal box, was demolished in 1965.

The Second World War box was built by the LMS in 1941 replacing the L&YR 1878 box. To the far left of the photo part of…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/NGH00113.jpg
Probably seen here in October 1962 following closure of the station the previous month.

The Second World War box was built by the LMS in 1941 replacing the L&YR 1878 box. To the far left of the image part of the up platform building.

The…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/NGH00110.jpg
View looking up the approach road. On the right is the small timber Booking Office and on the left the signal box and down platform buildings. The footbridge connected the platforms and was the only passenger access to the up platform.

The station…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/NGH00106.jpg
The Second World War box was built by the LMS in 1941, described as an A.R.P. Box, and replaced the L&YR 1878 box. To the far left of the image part of the down platform building.

The withdrawal of services between Halifax and Huddersfield in…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00232.jpg
On the Halifax-Bradford line at its junction with the Spen Valley Line. The station opened in July 1848 the same time as the line between the junction and Bradford. As well as an important junction station it also served the Low Moor Ironworks which…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00230.jpg
Looking in the Halifax direction with the north portal of Bowling Tunnel all but hidden by smoke. The line in the centre continues to Bradford Exchange and the line going off to the left is the Bowling Curve to Laisterdyke where it joined the…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00228.jpg
A passenger service approaching Bradford on the GNR’s Queensbury line with the branch to City Roads Goods which had opened in 1876 joining on the right. Horton Park Station is just visible beyond the last carriage, this had opened in 1880 and was…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00223.jpg
An intermediate station between Bradford Market Street Station, re-named Forster Square in 1924, and Shipley it was opened by the MR in 1875. The station was closed in 1965 and then demolished but a new unstaffed station was opened in 1987 with the…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00217.jpg
The approach to Forster Square Station in BR days. Date unknown but seemingly prior to dieselisation in the late ‘50s/early’60s. In the centre of the photo is Valley Road Power Station which closed in 1975 and was demolished in 1978.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00210.jpg
On the GNR line between Keighley and Queensbury where it connected with lines to Bradford and Halifax. The station opened with the line in 1884 and closed in 1955 at the same time as the line closed to passenger traffic, closing to all traffic in…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00205.jpg
An intermediate station between Keighley and Haworth, on the single track Keighley & Worth Valley Railway opened in 1867 at the same time as the line and seen here in MR days with station staff posing for the camera. The line was operated by the MR…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00197.jpg
An intermediate station on the MR’s Ilkley – Skipton line it opened with the line in 1888. Seen here in a very sorry condition probably after closure in 1965.

It was re-opened in 1981 by the Embsay & Bolton Abbey Steam Railway - …

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00181.jpg
The station on the section of the Leeds & Bradford Extension Railway between Skipton and Colne opened 1848 and was closed in 1952. The line between the two towns closed in 1970 but there is a campaign to get it re-opened.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00165.jpg
The station was on the Heaton Lodge & Wortley Railway from Huddersfield to Leeds, which always known as the ‘Leeds New Line’,and it opened at the same time as the line in 1900. Seen here pre-
First World War it only had a short existence being closed…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00162.jpg
In 1878 a branch from Stanningley on the GNR Leeds-Bradford ‘short line was opened up to the station here with an intermediate station at nearby Pudsey Lowtown. Then in 1893 a curve from Bramley to the Pudsey Branch was constructed which was then…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00161.jpg
The station on the GNR ‘short line’ between Leeds Central and Bradford Exchange had opened at the same time as the line in 1854. In 1878 a single track branch was opened from Stanningley to Pudsey but this was disconnected at Pudsey in 1893 when the…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00116.jpg
Repairing the fence on the unusual viaduct platform. The station is well above the valley floor resulting in the platforms running along the length of the viaduct but they also overhung it supported by massive brackets. The now disused station…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00109.jpg
The box in early 2013 prior to being Grade II Listed. It is due to be de-commissioned by 2017. David N Taylor Collection.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00108.jpg
The box in this position was built in 1891 when the old 1840 station was completely replaced with the structure we see today. The box was Grade II Listed in 2013 although the balcony walkway and bell have gone and the windows replaced with PVC…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00107.jpg
HCC00477. The box in this position was built in 1891 when the old 1840 station was completely replaced with the structure we see today. The box was Grade II Listed in 2013 although the balcony walkway and bell have gone and the windows replaced with…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/RDA00179.jpg
The station on the 'Copy Pit Line' from Todmorden to Burnley opened in 1878 some 30 years after the line and the station closed in 1938.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/RDA00178.jpg
The station was opened at the same time as the Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway's line between Todmorden and Burnley in 1849. It was closed in 1930.
Output Formats

atom, csv, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2