Browse Items (12 total)

  • Tags: St John the Baptist in the Wilderness

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/HCC00164.jpg
The Old Vicarage can be seen towards the right of the picture, and the chimney is from Vale Mill. Donated by Margaret Harrison

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/HCC00163.jpg
The house on the hillside behind the church is Cragg Hall before it was 'improved' by the Hinchliffes. Old Cragg Hall is towards the top of the picture, in the trees. Photo donated by Margaret Harrison

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/CVH00146.jpg
Where did that name come from, can anyone help? St johns Church is at the bottom of the picture, with Church Bank Mill behind, beyond that Cragg School.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/WAO00236.jpg
In the centre, below the Board School, i.e. Council School, is Church Bank Mill with its very tall chimney. At the bottom of the picture is the church of St John the Baptist. The postcard has an intriguing title.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/WAO00235.jpg
On the left is the church of St. John the Baptist in the Wilderness and far right the Hinchliffe Arms with the road up to Withens Clough Reservoir. Note the tennis court at the rear of the church.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/WAO00233.jpg
Postcard with 1917 postmark. This church, built in 1838 to replace a smaller church constructed in 1813, was paid for from the 'million pound fund'. An Act of Parliament allocated £1 million to build churches in the rapidly expanding industrial areas…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/WAO00232.jpg
Postcard with 1917 postmark. This church, built in 1838 to replace a smaller church constructed in 1813, was paid for from the 'million pound fund'. An Act of Parliament allocated £1 million to build churches in the rapidly expanding industrial areas…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/WAO00202.jpg
Undated postcard 'Exclusive to B Adams, Newsagent, 8 New Road, Mytholmroyd'. Mytholmroyd War Memorial; St Michael's Church; Shoulder of Mutton; Cragg Vale.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/KEC00110.jpg
St Michael's, Mytholmroyd: St John's, Cragg Vale, St James, Hebden Bridge Part of the Hebden Bridge Local History Society Archive

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/ALC06340.jpg
In 1813 they laid the foundation stone of a small church at Marshaw Bridge. The building was completed 1815. There was accommodation for 250, but it soon became inadequate and was in a state of disrepair.
1838 New church commenced.
1839 Church of St.…
Output Formats

atom, csv, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2