Browse Items (91 total)

  • Tags: Station Canopies

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/NGH00118.jpg
Looking from the down platform obliquely up the line in the Sowerby Bridge direction. Off the up line carriages stored on a siding and between the signal gantries on the right the junction with the Halifax Branch. The station had closed the previous…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/NGH00117.jpg
Former LMS Fowler 2-6-4T number 42384 steams through the station which had closed in September 1962 on the down line probably in October 1962 having just rolled over the junction with the Halifax Branch visible centre right. The loco was taken out of…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/NGH00116.jpg
Looking across to the passenger shelter on the up platform probably in October 1962. Centre right carriages stored on a siding and far left a section of steps to the footbridge which connected the platforms with one another and with the Booking…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/NGH00115.jpg
Viewed looking up the line probably in October 1962 just over a month after closure. The footbridge connected the two platforms with the small Booking Office, off the photo far right, as well as with one another. Between the two signal gantries is…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/NGH00111.jpg
Looking down the line with the up platform on the right and the down platform passenger shelter on the left. The footbridge in the distance connected the two platforms with one another and with the small timber Booking Office adjacent to the down…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/NGH00110.jpg
View looking up the approach road. On the right is the small timber Booking Office and on the left the signal box and down platform buildings. The footbridge connected the platforms and was the only passenger access to the up platform.

The station…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/NGH00108.jpg
A former LMS Fowler Class 4F number 44457 passing through Greetland Station on the down line after closure of the station in September 1962. The loco went to the scrap yard in October 1964.

On the left behind the water turret carriages are stored…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00269.jpg
On the L&YR’s ‘Pickle Bridge’ line which opened in 1881 running from near Wyke on the Halifax-Bradford line to join the Calder Valley main line east of Brighouse. The station, seen here with passengers and station staff posing for the camera…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00241.jpg
When the station was built in 1855 the main access was by a sweeping carriage drive from opposite the bottom of Horton Street but there was also this pedestrian access which was blocked up when lines and platforms to the front of the station were…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00232.jpg
On the Halifax-Bradford line at its junction with the Spen Valley Line. The station opened in July 1848 the same time as the line between the junction and Bradford. As well as an important junction station it also served the Low Moor Ironworks which…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00229.jpg
An unusual triangular station built by the GNR in 1879 with buildings on all three platforms at the junctions of the Bradford – Halifax (GNR route), Bradford – Keighley and Halifax - Keighley lines, seen here the Halifax – Keighley platform early…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00226.jpg
An intermediate station on the GNR’s loop line from Laisterdyke to Shipley which had opened in 1875. The station here opened at the same but closing to passengers in 1931 and to goods in 1964 and the line finally closed over its whole length in1968.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00212.jpg
On the GNR line between Keighley and Queensbury where it connected with lines to Bradford and Halifax. The station opened with the line in 1884 and closed in 1955 at the same time as the line closed to passenger traffic, closing to all traffic in…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00210.jpg
On the GNR line between Keighley and Queensbury where it connected with lines to Bradford and Halifax. The station opened with the line in 1884 and closed in 1955 at the same time as the line closed to passenger traffic, closing to all traffic in…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00208.jpg
On the GNR line between Keighley and Queensbury where it connected with lines to Bradford and Halifax. The station opened with the line in 1884 and closed in 1955 at the same time as the line.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00180.jpg
The station seen here is Bingley’s second station and was opened in 1892 replacing the earlier station which was a little to the west near the Three Rise Locks on the Leeds & Liverpool Canal. It remains open.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00177.jpg
The station on the Leeds & Bradford Railway’s Aire Valley Line opened in July 1846 a few weeks after the line. This station was replaced in 1900 by the one seen here when the line was widened to four tracks. The station closed in 1965 but a new…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00175.jpg
The first station here, known as Newlay, on the Leeds & Bradford Railway’s Aire Valley line opened in 1846 but the station seen here, possibly in MR days (ie pre-1923), dates from quadrupling the line in 1905 having been re-named Newlay & Horsforth…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00168.jpg
Morley Top, seen here pre-First World War, was on the Leeds, Bradford & Halifax Junction Railway’s Gildersome Branch and extension which opened over its whole length between Laisterdyke and Ardsley in 1857 and was acquired by the GNR in 1865. The…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00164.jpg
The station on the LNWR Leeds-Huddersfield-Manchester line opened in 1848. In 1882 to overcome congestion on the joint approach to Wellington and New Stations the LNWR built a separate approach, which included the Farnley Viaduct, and the station was…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00163.jpg
In 1878 a branch from Stanningley on the GNR Leeds-Bradford ‘short line was opened up to Pudsey Greenside with a station here. Then in 1893 a curve from Bramley to the Pudsey Branch was constructed which was then extended to Cutlers Junction at…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00162.jpg
In 1878 a branch from Stanningley on the GNR Leeds-Bradford ‘short line was opened up to the station here with an intermediate station at nearby Pudsey Lowtown. Then in 1893 a curve from Bramley to the Pudsey Branch was constructed which was then…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00145.jpg
Originally on the Leeds & Selby Railway which opened in 1834 from Marsh Lane which was the first station in Leeds. However due to the machinations of George Hudson, the ‘Railway King’, it fell into disuse between 1840 and 1850 and the line was not…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00126.jpg
Normanton Station was opened on 30th June 1840 by the North Midland Railway, later a constituent part of the Midland Railway, on its Leeds-Derby line and on the same day the York & North Midland Railway opened between Normanton and York and this was…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00125.jpg
The station was opened by the M&LR at the same time as the section of its line between Hebden Bridge and Normanton and was Wakefield’s only station until Westgate Station was opened in 1867. The station was rebuilt in 1854 and is seen here late 19th…
Output Formats

atom, csv, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2