Browse Items (214 total)

  • Tags: Station Platform

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00232.jpg
On the Halifax-Bradford line at its junction with the Spen Valley Line. The station opened in July 1848 the same time as the line between the junction and Bradford. As well as an important junction station it also served the Low Moor Ironworks which…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00231.jpg
On the ‘short line’ between Bradford & Leeds, built by the Leeds Bradford & Halifax Junction Railway, which opened in 1854 and was operated from the start by the Great Northern Railway who subsequently acquired it. The station opened with the line…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00227.jpg
The station opened in 1878 and was built as an interchange station between the GNR’s Bradford – Leeds line and their Quensbury lines so that passengers could change between the lines without having to go into Exchange Station. It closed in 1952 due…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00211.jpg
On the GNR line between Keighley and Queensbury where it connected with lines to Bradford and Halifax. The station opened in 1886, two years after the line, and closed in 1955 at the same time as the line closed to passenger traffic, closing to all…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00210.jpg
On the GNR line between Keighley and Queensbury where it connected with lines to Bradford and Halifax. The station opened with the line in 1884 and closed in 1955 at the same time as the line closed to passenger traffic, closing to all traffic in…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00208.jpg
On the GNR line between Keighley and Queensbury where it connected with lines to Bradford and Halifax. The station opened with the line in 1884 and closed in 1955 at the same time as the line.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00207.jpg
The southern terminus of the single track Keighley & Worth Valley Railway opened in 1867 at the same time as the line, seen here looking towards Keighley possibly in MR days. The line was operated by the MR from the start and acquired by them in…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00206.jpg
The southern terminus of the single track Keighley & Worth Valley Railway opened in 1867 at the same time as the line, seen here looking towards Keighley in LMS days in 1946. The line was operated by the MR from the start and acquired by them in…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00205.jpg
An intermediate station between Keighley and Haworth, on the single track Keighley & Worth Valley Railway opened in 1867 at the same time as the line and seen here in MR days with station staff posing for the camera. The line was operated by the MR…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00204.jpg
A sad and near derelict station in BR days in the 1950s. The station closed in 1961 and the line in 1962 re-opening as a heritage railway in 1968. The station has now been fully restored and is the headquarter of the Keighley and Worth Valley…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00203.jpg
Haworth Station on the single track Keighley & Worth Valley Railway opened in 1867 at the same time as the line, seen here looking towards Keighley. From its earliest days it was busy with pilgrims to the shrine of the Bronte sisters. The line was…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00202.jpg
Haworth Station on the single track Keighley & Worth Valley Railway opened in 1867 at the same time as the line, seen here looking towards Oxenhope. From its earliest days it was busy with pilgrims to the shrine of the Bronte sisters. The line was…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00201.jpg
Damens Station seen here in MR days on the single track Keighley & Worth Valley Railway opened in 1867 a few months after the line had been inaugurated and reputedly was Britain's smallest standard-gauge railway station. The line was operated by the…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00200.jpg
The Leeds & Bradford Extension Railway, acquired by the MR, between Shipley and Colne opened through Keighley in 1847 giving the town its first station. The station seen here with a large island platform dates from 1883 and is on the opposite side of…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00198.jpg
Known as Grassington & Threshfield Station it was the terminus of the Yorkshire Dales Railway and opened with the line from Embsay Junction on the MR’s Ilkley Skipton Line in 1902; it was operated throughout by the MR. Regular passenger services were…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00197.jpg
An intermediate station on the MR’s Ilkley – Skipton line it opened with the line in 1888. Seen here in a very sorry condition probably after closure in 1965.

It was re-opened in 1981 by the Embsay & Bolton Abbey Steam Railway - …

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00196.jpg
An intermediate station on the MR’s Ilkley – Skipton line it opened with the line in 1888. The great popularity of Bolton Abbey made it a very busy station particularly in summer with excursion trains of several railway companies; it was also the…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00195.jpg
An intermediate station on the MR’s Ilkley – Skipton line it opened with the line in 1888. The station closed with the line in 1965 and the station buildings subsequently demolished and the site is now a housing estate.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00194.jpg
The western terminus of the ‘Otley & Ilkley Joint Railway’ the joint MR/NER station opened with the line in 1865. In 1888 the MR opened a line from Ilkley to Skipton with their own through platforms which were regarded as a separate station from the…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00192.jpg
The station on the MR/NER ‘Otley & Ilkley Joint Railway ‘opened at the same time as the line in August 1865. The station was de-staffed in 1968 and the buildings demolished and replaced by bus stop style shelters, the line was electrified in 1994/5.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00191.jpg
The station seen here in MR days is on the MR’s Shipley – Guiseley line and opened at the same time as the line in 1876 and was closed in 1953 and the buildings subsequently demolished. An unstaffed station was re-opened in 1973 and the line, now…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00190.jpg
The station on the MR’s Shipley – Guiseley line opened at the same time as the line in 1876 and was closed in 1953 and the buildings subsequently demolished. An unstaffed station was re-opened in 1973 and the line, now electrified but reduced to…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00189.jpg
The station on the MR’s Shipley – Guiseley line opened at the same time as the line in 1876 and was closed in 1940 and the building subsequently demolished. The line, now electrified but reduced to single track, remains in use for Bradford Forster…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00188.jpg
The MR’s branch from the Otley & Ilkley Joint Railway to their Aire Valley line at Apperley Junction had opened in 1865 and the station at Guiseley was opened at the same time. The connection to the Aire Valley line was Leeds facing which meant that…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00187.jpg
The MR’s branch from their Aire Valley line at Apperley Junction to the Otley & Ilkley Joint Railway had opened in 1865 but the station at Menston wasn’t opened until August 1875. North East of the station at Menston Junction, where there had been a…
Output Formats

atom, csv, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2