Browse Items (34 total)

  • Tags: Station Road

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00117.jpg
Station frontage looking down Station Road. The station with its imposing Tudor style building replaced an earlier station near Sowerby Tunnel and was built in the late 1870s when the Rishworth Branch was constructed. It was hastily demolished…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00114.jpg
HCC00492. Same view as DTA00101.

Photo David N.Taylor Collection

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/WAO00252.jpg
Postcard date stamped May 1916. Looking down the road from the canal bridge; over the river, past the Goods Yard and then over the railway and up to St Mary's Church. The church was built in 1873, closed in 1977 and its 126ft spire was demolished in…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/WAO00249.jpg
Postcard with September 1922 postmark. Looking up to the junction with Burnley Road with the bridge over the River Calder in the foreground and then the bridge over the Rochdale Canal further on.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/KEC00404.jpg
Carrying Station Road over the Calder it was built by the Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway in 1850 to replace a wooden trestle bridge which had been built when the station opened in 1840. Part of the Hebden Bridge Local History Society Archive

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/KEC00403.jpg
Carrying Station Road over the Calder it was built by the Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway in 1850 to replace a wooden trestle bridge which had been built when the station opened in 1840. Part of the Hebden Bridge Local History Society Archive

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/ALC00454.jpg
Looking up towards the station. The large station warehouse is still there at the top but Local Authority housing not yet built on the land between Palace House Road and the line.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/ALC00450.jpg
c1937/8. Constructing the footbridge over the canal from the Memorial Garden to Calder Holmes Park. In the distance beneath the bridge can be seen Victoria Bridge on Station Road over the Calder and centre right semaphore signal on the railway near…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/ALC00414.jpg
Bottom centre the passenger station and to its left the large railway warehouse and goods sidings. Above them can be seen Riverside School, originally Hebden Bridge Grammar School which opened 1909. At the top of Station Road by Princes Bridge is…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/ALC00413.jpg
View across the railway station to the town. The passenger station, re-built 1891/2, wedged between Victoria Mill to its right and the large railway warehouse to the left and beyond it Crossley Mill. Bottom right the Crow Nest Works of the joint…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/ALC00321.jpg
An open top tram on Burnley Road looking up Station Road to the large station warehouse, early 20th century. The Halifax Corporation trams reached Hebden Bridge in November 1901. This postcard may have been taken to commemorate the inaugural run.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/ALC00232.jpg
An open top tram on Burnley Road looking up Station Road to the large station warehouse, early 20th century. The Halifax Corporation trams reached Hebden Bridge in November 1901.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/LYR00267.jpg
LYRS 2804 - the disused and now demolished ‘up’ side Station Warehouse on Station Approach, opposite the rear of the ‘White Hart'.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/LYR00237.jpg
LYRS 8410 - 1967. The disused and derelict station buildings on the 'down' line looking towards Todmorden. The passenger station had closed in 1951 and goods and coal facilities had been withdrawn in 1964. The buildings built into the hillside…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/LYR00210.jpg
LYRS2701. Early 20thc. pre-1908 view across the railway station to the town. The passenger station, re-built 1891/2, wedged between Victoria Mill to its right and the large railway warehouse to the left, the second bay of which built in 1884 still…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/LYR00186.jpg
LYRS 6092 - 1963. Gas lamp outside the Booking Office looking down Station Road a year after the station had closed.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/LYR00136.jpg
LYRS 8625 - Coal drops in 1967. The coal drops seen here with wagons on the coal siding above are west of the station off the 'up' line. Dating from about 1875 coal was 'dropped' from railway wagons on the sidings down the shoots into road wagons…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/LYR00133.jpg
LYRS 8618 - Sowerby Bridge Station - frontage and apprachlooking down Station Road. The station with its imposing Tudor style building, replacing an earlier station near Sowerby Tunnel, and was built in the late 1870s when the Rishworth Branch was…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/LYR00132.jpg
LYRS 6106 - Sowerby Bridge Station 1963 - frontage and approach looking down Station Road. The station with its imposing Tudor style building replaced an earlier station near Sowerby Tunnel and was built in the late 1870s when the Rishworth Branch…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/LYR00124.jpg
LYRS 4130 - Horse-drawn Parcels Delivery Van No 120, 2-wheel, & horse-drawn Cab in front of Sowerby Bridge Station.

The imposing Tudor style station building looked down Station Road but was demolished following fire damage in 1978 although the…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/LYR00121.jpg
LYRS 2786 - Sowerby Bridge - general view of the town looking east across the station & coal yard and drops.

This station was built in the late 1870s when the branch to Ripponden was opened. There were six platforms, now reduced to two, all with…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/HPC00268.jpg
NAME: BRIDGE MILLS

LOCATION: Station Road, Luddenden Foot

REF: CD 146

GRID REF: 037 251

CLASSIFICATION: D

CONDITION: Semi-used

APPROX DATE OF SITE AND BUILDINGS: Late 19C

DESCRIPTION/HISTORY: A small, three storey stone built mill cum…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/HLS05032.jpg
General view across to the Stubbings hillside. Centre left the Board School which opened in 1878 and along from it the partially constructed Zion Particular Baptist Chapel which was constructed in 1881 and opened for worship in 1882.

Centre right…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/HLS05027.jpg
Enlarged extract from one of a series of Lithographs by A. F. Tait published in 1845 entitled "Views on the Manchester and Leeds Railway". The station opened in October 1840. Seen here the small station building on the 'Leeds line' is almost hidden…
Output Formats

atom, csv, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2