Browse Items (39 total)

  • Tags: Station Staff

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00269.jpg
On the L&YR’s ‘Pickle Bridge’ line which opened in 1881 running from near Wyke on the Halifax-Bradford line to join the Calder Valley main line east of Brighouse. The station, seen here with passengers and station staff posing for the camera…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00268.jpg
On the L&YR’s ‘Pickle Bridge’ line which opened in 1881 running from near Wyke on the Halifax-Bradford line to join the Calder Valley main line east of Brighouse. The station opened in 1881 at the same time as the line but ‘temporarily’ closed in…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00265.jpg
The station on the joint GNR/L&YR Halifax & Ovenden Junction Railway opened in 1881 three years after the line between Halifax Station and Queensbury had opened. The station closed in 1955 when passenger services on the line were withdrawn and the…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00227.jpg
The station opened in 1878 and was built as an interchange station between the GNR’s Bradford – Leeds line and their Quensbury lines so that passengers could change between the lines without having to go into Exchange Station. It closed in 1952 due…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00226.jpg
An intermediate station on the GNR’s loop line from Laisterdyke to Shipley which had opened in 1875. The station here opened at the same but closing to passengers in 1931 and to goods in 1964 and the line finally closed over its whole length in1968.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00225.jpg
An intermediate station on the GNR’s loop line from Laisterdyke to Shipley which had opened in 1875. The station here opened three years later in 1878 and closed to passengers in1931 and to goods in 1964 and the line finally closed over its whole…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00224.jpg
The station, which had been known as Shipley Bridge Street, was the terminus of a loop line built by the GNR from Laisterdyke opening in 1875 with intermediate stations at Eccleshill, Idle and Thackley The station closed to passengers in 1931 and to…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00205.jpg
An intermediate station between Keighley and Haworth, on the single track Keighley & Worth Valley Railway opened in 1867 at the same time as the line and seen here in MR days with station staff posing for the camera. The line was operated by the MR…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00201.jpg
Damens Station seen here in MR days on the single track Keighley & Worth Valley Railway opened in 1867 a few months after the line had been inaugurated and reputedly was Britain's smallest standard-gauge railway station. The line was operated by the…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00200.jpg
The Leeds & Bradford Extension Railway, acquired by the MR, between Shipley and Colne opened through Keighley in 1847 giving the town its first station. The station seen here with a large island platform dates from 1883 and is on the opposite side of…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00198.jpg
Known as Grassington & Threshfield Station it was the terminus of the Yorkshire Dales Railway and opened with the line from Embsay Junction on the MR’s Ilkley Skipton Line in 1902; it was operated throughout by the MR. Regular passenger services were…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00196.jpg
An intermediate station on the MR’s Ilkley – Skipton line it opened with the line in 1888. The great popularity of Bolton Abbey made it a very busy station particularly in summer with excursion trains of several railway companies; it was also the…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00174.jpg
The station on the Leeds & Bradford Railway’s Aire Valley Line opened at the same time as the line in 1846 and became part of the MR network. The station was re-built when the line was quadrupled in about 1905 having been re-named Newlay & Horsforth…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00173.jpg
The first station was built here when the line opened in 1846 and was rebuilt, seen here looking towards Leeds, when the line was quadrupled in about 1905. The station closed in 1965.

A station at nearby Kirkstall Forge existed from 1860 to 1905…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00170.jpg
The station originally on the Leeds & Thirsk Railway (see Headingley Station) opened in 1849 and seen her with staff posing for the camera in NER days pre-1923. The station was de-staffed in 1969 and the buildings demolished. As a result of…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00168.jpg
Morley Top, seen here pre-First World War, was on the Leeds, Bradford & Halifax Junction Railway’s Gildersome Branch and extension which opened over its whole length between Laisterdyke and Ardsley in 1857 and was acquired by the GNR in 1865. The…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00165.jpg
The station was on the Heaton Lodge & Wortley Railway from Huddersfield to Leeds, which always known as the ‘Leeds New Line’,and it opened at the same time as the line in 1900. Seen here pre-
First World War it only had a short existence being closed…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00163.jpg
In 1878 a branch from Stanningley on the GNR Leeds-Bradford ‘short line was opened up to Pudsey Greenside with a station here. Then in 1893 a curve from Bramley to the Pudsey Branch was constructed which was then extended to Cutlers Junction at…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00156.jpg
An intermediate station on the Bradford, Wakefield & Leeds Railway between Leeds and Wakefield which opened in 1857 and became part of the GNR network in 1865. The station closed in 1964.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00155.jpg
The original station was opened by the Bradford, Wakefield and Leeds Railway in 1858, and was originally named Lofthouse. This was renamed Lofthouse and Outwood in July 1865. It closed on 13 June 1960.[1] A different Lofthouse and Outwood station,…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00148.jpg
The first station on the NER Wetherby line after it branched off the Leeds-York/Selby line at Cross Gates but it was nearly ¾ mile from the village of that name. It opened at the same time as the line in 1876 and closed with the line in 1964. It’s…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00147.jpg
The attractively decorated interior of the entrance porch to the station with staff posing for the camera in NER days.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00146.jpg
Station staff posing for the camera on the ramp from the entrance building down to the eastbound platform with the footbridge to the westbound platform to the right.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00145.jpg
Originally on the Leeds & Selby Railway which opened in 1834 from Marsh Lane which was the first station in Leeds. However due to the machinations of George Hudson, the ‘Railway King’, it fell into disuse between 1840 and 1850 and the line was not…
Output Formats

atom, csv, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2