Browse Items (48 total)

  • Tags: Steam Power
The five arch viaduct on the Manchester & Leeds Railway is right of centre and the Rochdale Canal to the left.
This former spinning mill and weaving sheds were built in 1856-8 by Abraham Ormerod & Bros. The mill was purchased by Caleb Hoyle in 1904. At the time of this photograph, about 1962, the four-storey building was occupied by Sunway Blinds. The shed on…
The Castle Street area, Halifax Road, viewed from above Castle Hill tunnel. The scene is dominated by Cinderhill Mills. The Rose and Crown Inn can be seen in the lower centre.
Canteen Mill can be seen in the foreground. Nott Wood Viaduct on the 'Copy Pit Line' between Todmorden and Burnley is across the top.
One of the earliest known photographs of Todmorden, about 1866, showing the building of the Unitarian Church. Waterside Mill is in the foreground.
Todmorden's earliest industrial 'estate', viewed from Sunnyside about 1905.
Calderdale's small industrial units were built on the site of Salford Mill in 1980.
Springside 1910 - This view overlooking Springside provides a splendid record of the mills, which once dominated this part of the valley. In the foreground, lying between the river and the Rochdale canal is Nanholme Mill, which was used primarily for…
View looking towards Springside from Lob Mill area, c1910.

The long wooden building by the canalside was originally a rope works, erected Jonas Clegg in 1887.

The buildings on the roadside have all disappeared, along with the place names: Nell Cote…
Mons Mill works outing to Filey and Scarborough, 1947.
Mrs Eastwood, working on a ring spinning frame, Mons Mill, 1949.
Mrs Whitham on a bobbin winding frame, 1949.
Mrs Parfitt watching a beaming frame, 1949.
Miss Heyworth pushing down sliver into a card can, Mons mill, 1949.
Mrs Payne, right, at her drawing frame with Mr Melton, the Head Carder, Mons Mill, 1949.
View inside the card room at Mons Mill, 1936.
The boiler room was located below the engine house
View of the magnificent tiled engine house at Mons Mill, in 1936.
View of the magnificent tiled engine house at Mons Mill, in 1936.
Rear view of Mons Mill in 1936 showing the office building, now occupied by the Ukrainian Club. It is said that Mons Mill was built to only half of its intended size. The only clue to this grand plan is in the south gable, shown here, which was left…
Until 1914 the mill was known as Hare Mill, recognisable by the huge white letters faced into the chimney in glazed brick.
Its founder, Jonathan Gledhill, supervised the cutting of the first sod in June 1907.
Output Formats

atom, csv, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2