Browse Items (56 total)

  • Tags: Telegraph Pole

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/NGH00120.jpg
The small timber Booking Office on the station approach road was opposite the east end of the down platform which is off the photo here to the left. On the left are the steps up to the footbridge which connected the platforms and was the only…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/NGH00110.jpg
View looking up the approach road. On the right is the small timber Booking Office and on the left the signal box and down platform buildings. The footbridge connected the platforms and was the only passenger access to the up platform.

The station…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00228.jpg
A passenger service approaching Bradford on the GNR’s Queensbury line with the branch to City Roads Goods which had opened in 1876 joining on the right. Horton Park Station is just visible beyond the last carriage, this had opened in 1880 and was…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00225.jpg
An intermediate station on the GNR’s loop line from Laisterdyke to Shipley which had opened in 1875. The station here opened three years later in 1878 and closed to passengers in1931 and to goods in 1964 and the line finally closed over its whole…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00223.jpg
An intermediate station between Bradford Market Street Station, re-named Forster Square in 1924, and Shipley it was opened by the MR in 1875. The station was closed in 1965 and then demolished but a new unstaffed station was opened in 1987 with the…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00212.jpg
On the GNR line between Keighley and Queensbury where it connected with lines to Bradford and Halifax. The station opened with the line in 1884 and closed in 1955 at the same time as the line closed to passenger traffic, closing to all traffic in…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00205.jpg
An intermediate station between Keighley and Haworth, on the single track Keighley & Worth Valley Railway opened in 1867 at the same time as the line and seen here in MR days with station staff posing for the camera. The line was operated by the MR…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00203.jpg
Haworth Station on the single track Keighley & Worth Valley Railway opened in 1867 at the same time as the line, seen here looking towards Keighley. From its earliest days it was busy with pilgrims to the shrine of the Bronte sisters. The line was…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00202.jpg
Haworth Station on the single track Keighley & Worth Valley Railway opened in 1867 at the same time as the line, seen here looking towards Oxenhope. From its earliest days it was busy with pilgrims to the shrine of the Bronte sisters. The line was…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00201.jpg
Damens Station seen here in MR days on the single track Keighley & Worth Valley Railway opened in 1867 a few months after the line had been inaugurated and reputedly was Britain's smallest standard-gauge railway station. The line was operated by the…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00195.jpg
An intermediate station on the MR’s Ilkley – Skipton line it opened with the line in 1888. The station closed with the line in 1965 and the station buildings subsequently demolished and the site is now a housing estate.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00188.jpg
The MR’s branch from the Otley & Ilkley Joint Railway to their Aire Valley line at Apperley Junction had opened in 1865 and the station at Guiseley was opened at the same time. The connection to the Aire Valley line was Leeds facing which meant that…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00187.jpg
The MR’s branch from their Aire Valley line at Apperley Junction to the Otley & Ilkley Joint Railway had opened in 1865 but the station at Menston wasn’t opened until August 1875. North East of the station at Menston Junction, where there had been a…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00182.jpg
The station on the section of the Leeds & Bradford Extension Railway between Skipton and Colne opened 1848 but up to 1937 was simply known as Thornton. The station was closed in 1970 at the same time as the line between Skipton and Colne but there is…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00181.jpg
The station on the section of the Leeds & Bradford Extension Railway between Skipton and Colne opened 1848 and was closed in 1952. The line between the two towns closed in 1970 but there is a campaign to get it re-opened.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00180.jpg
The station seen here is Bingley’s second station and was opened in 1892 replacing the earlier station which was a little to the west near the Three Rise Locks on the Leeds & Liverpool Canal. It remains open.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00179.jpg
The station on the Leeds & Bradford Extension Railway between Shipley and Colne opened at the same time as the section of the line between Shipley and Keighley in March 1847. The station on its last day as seen here was near the Bingley Three Rise…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00178.jpg
The Leeds & Bradford Extension Railway between Shipley and Colne opened over its whole length in 1848 but a station wasn’t opened by the MR at Saltaire until 1856. This station was closed in 1965 and the buildings demolished in 1970. In 1984 a new…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00177.jpg
The station on the Leeds & Bradford Railway’s Aire Valley Line opened in July 1846 a few weeks after the line. This station was replaced in 1900 by the one seen here when the line was widened to four tracks. The station closed in 1965 but a new…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00171.jpg
The station seen here looking very derelict. Originally just Armley it was the first station out of Leeds on the Bradford & Leeds Railway which opened via the Aire Valley in 1846 quickly being acquired by the MR. BR changed its name to Armley Canal…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00160.jpg
On the 'short line' from Bradford to Leeds Central Station opened in 1854 by the Leeds, Bradford & Halifax Junction Railway which was acquired by the GNR in 1865. The station closed in 1966 and the buildings were demolished; a new station with bus…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00157.jpg
On the GNR Leeds - King Cross main line only a few miles out of Leeds centre it opened in 1860 and closed 1953.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00156.jpg
An intermediate station on the Bradford, Wakefield & Leeds Railway between Leeds and Wakefield which opened in 1857 and became part of the GNR network in 1865. The station closed in 1964.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00155.jpg
The original station was opened by the Bradford, Wakefield and Leeds Railway in 1858, and was originally named Lofthouse. This was renamed Lofthouse and Outwood in July 1865. It closed on 13 June 1960.[1] A different Lofthouse and Outwood station,…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00154.jpg
The station seen here in in LMS days (1923-1948) opened in 1841 at the same time as the Leeds – Derby line of the North Midland Railway, later a constituent part of the MR. The station closed in 1957 having been re-named Methley North in 1950 to…
Output Formats

atom, csv, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2