Browse Items (50 total)

  • Tags: Train

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00267.jpg
The station on the Halifax –Bradford line opened at the same time as the line in August 1850. The station was closed in 1965.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00231.jpg
On the ‘short line’ between Bradford & Leeds, built by the Leeds Bradford & Halifax Junction Railway, which opened in 1854 and was operated from the start by the Great Northern Railway who subsequently acquired it. The station opened with the line…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00228.jpg
A passenger service approaching Bradford on the GNR’s Queensbury line with the branch to City Roads Goods which had opened in 1876 joining on the right. Horton Park Station is just visible beyond the last carriage, this had opened in 1880 and was…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00189.jpg
The station on the MR’s Shipley – Guiseley line opened at the same time as the line in 1876 and was closed in 1940 and the building subsequently demolished. The line, now electrified but reduced to single track, remains in use for Bradford Forster…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00163.jpg
In 1878 a branch from Stanningley on the GNR Leeds-Bradford ‘short line was opened up to Pudsey Greenside with a station here. Then in 1893 a curve from Bramley to the Pudsey Branch was constructed which was then extended to Cutlers Junction at…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00161.jpg
The station on the GNR ‘short line’ between Leeds Central and Bradford Exchange had opened at the same time as the line in 1854. In 1878 a single track branch was opened from Stanningley to Pudsey but this was disconnected at Pudsey in 1893 when the…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00159.jpg
On the GNR ‘short line’ from Leeds Central to Bradford the station opened with the line in 1854. To the west of the station there was the junction with the Pudsey loop line which had opened in 1893 and closed in 1965. Bramley station closed in 1966…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00156.jpg
An intermediate station on the Bradford, Wakefield & Leeds Railway between Leeds and Wakefield which opened in 1857 and became part of the GNR network in 1865. The station closed in 1964.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00152.jpg
Seen here early 20th century on the NER’s Cross Gates – Wetherby line. This is the second station in Wetherby the first having been on the Church Fenton- Harrogate line but when the line from Cross Gates opened in 1876 it’s junction with the…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00144.jpg
The station, or probably a halt, on the Leeds Selby and York line was opened in 1930 by the LNER between Marsh Lane and Cross Gates stations following construction of a large housing estate. It was closed in 1960. The station is seen here possibly…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00133.jpg
A North Eastern Railway Leeds to Edinburgh service about to depart for York from New Station. The roof sign with its back to the station advertising Waddington Pianos was on New Station Street, off Boar Lane, which was the access to the station from…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00132.jpg
Seen here late 19th or early 20th century looking westwards with an NER train on the right. This view and the bridge across the lines remained little changed until into the second half of the 20th century. The platform numbering is not sequential.…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/ALC03325.jpg
Probably taken in the early 1960s.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/ALC00812.jpg
"But hark! What sound is that which startles him (the tourist) with its shrill shriek, almost making him forget that he is 'far away from the madding crowd?' On the opposite side of the valley he descries a railway engine with a train of trucks just…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/ALC00457.jpg
A westbound train, headed by an Aspinall 4-4-2, departing from Mytholmroyd Station pre-First World War. It is running on the 'slow' lines which would have been unusual for an express train, possibly due to the 'fast' line being recently…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/LYR00215.jpg
LYRS 4478 - General view of the 'up' platform, buildings and canopy in 1951 with westbound Stanier 4-6-0 Class No. 45421. The station warehouse to the left and Victoria Mill beyond were demolished in the late 1960s. The sleepers on the platform…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/LYR00198.jpg
LYRS 4578 - 1951. General view of the platforms, buildings and canopy looking east. Only the canopy and adjacent building now survive but disused and passenger facilities are bus-stop style shelters on each platform. The station was de-staffed in…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/LYR00159.jpg
LYRS 2667 - Barton Wright 4-4-0 heading a westbound train on the 'up' Manchester platform. . The first station opened in 1840 to the east of Huddersfield Road and new station, seen here, to the west of Huddersfield Road was opened in the 1890s. It…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/LYR00158.jpg
LYRS 3561 - Copley Viaduct climbing up to Copley Station and Halifax with bridge over the River Calder on the Calder Valley Main Line in LMS period with a goods or coal train heading west towards Milner Royd Junction.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/LYR00157.jpg
LYRS 4768 - Copley Station - general view of platforms, signal box and unidentified loco and train. The station, mid-way between Halifax and Milner Royd Junction on the Calder Valley Main Line, opened in 1855 to serve Akroyd's model village which…
Output Formats

atom, csv, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2