Browse Items (11 total)

  • Tags: Train Shed

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00220.jpg
Looking out from the double vaulted train shed along the tracks which carried all of the terminus stations passenger traffic. As a result of line and station closures in the mid-1960s the traffic was considerably reduced and the station was…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00219.jpg
A terminus station seen here after the introduction of DMUs so probably about 1960. The first station on the site was built in 1850 and operated by the L&YR but the impressive double vaulted train shed seen here dates from 1888 when the station was…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00216.jpg
The station here was originally built in 1846 by the Leeds & Bradford Railway which had been formed to connect the two towns with a railway along the Aire Valley; it was acquired by the MR in 1853 who rebuilt the station. It was intended that when…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00215.jpg
The station here was originally built in 1846 by the Leeds & Bradford Railway which had been formed to connect the two towns with a railway along the Aire Valley; it was acquired by the MR in 1853 who rebuilt the station. It was intended that when…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00133.jpg
A North Eastern Railway Leeds to Edinburgh service about to depart for York from New Station. The roof sign with its back to the station advertising Waddington Pianos was on New Station Street, off Boar Lane, which was the access to the station from…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00132.jpg
Seen here late 19th or early 20th century looking westwards with an NER train on the right. This view and the bridge across the lines remained little changed until into the second half of the 20th century. The platform numbering is not sequential.…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00131.jpg
The station concourse Seen here late 19th or early 20th century and before ticket barriers were erected to the right of the newsagents. The station was accessed by New Station Street off Boar Lane. When it was built in 1869 by the LNWR and NER it…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00129.jpg
Built by the Midland Railway in 1846, with subsequent re-builds, it was the first station in Leeds centre. Up until the building of New Station in 1869 it was shared by the London & North Western Railway but thereafter it was used exclusively by the…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/LYR00164.jpg
LYRS 2691 - An extract from an 1873 lithograph giving a rare view of the 1855 Station before it was extensively enlarged and modified in the mid-1880s. Access to the Station was by a curving carriage drive which is just discernible here turning down…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/JCA00325.jpg
Opened by the LNWR in June 1884 it closed for passenger traffic in May 1969.

In 1929 a platform link was constructed with nearby Victoria Station creating Europe's longest platform at 2,238 feet (682 m).
Output Formats

atom, csv, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2