Browse Items (75 total)

  • Tags: Trees

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00197.jpg
An intermediate station on the MR’s Ilkley – Skipton line it opened with the line in 1888. Seen here in a very sorry condition probably after closure in 1965.

It was re-opened in 1981 by the Embsay & Bolton Abbey Steam Railway - …

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00195.jpg
An intermediate station on the MR’s Ilkley – Skipton line it opened with the line in 1888. The station closed with the line in 1965 and the station buildings subsequently demolished and the site is now a housing estate.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00194.jpg
The western terminus of the ‘Otley & Ilkley Joint Railway’ the joint MR/NER station opened with the line in 1865. In 1888 the MR opened a line from Ilkley to Skipton with their own through platforms which were regarded as a separate station from the…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00192.jpg
The station on the MR/NER ‘Otley & Ilkley Joint Railway ‘opened at the same time as the line in August 1865. The station was de-staffed in 1968 and the buildings demolished and replaced by bus stop style shelters, the line was electrified in 1994/5.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00191.jpg
The station seen here in MR days is on the MR’s Shipley – Guiseley line and opened at the same time as the line in 1876 and was closed in 1953 and the buildings subsequently demolished. An unstaffed station was re-opened in 1973 and the line, now…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00190.jpg
The station on the MR’s Shipley – Guiseley line opened at the same time as the line in 1876 and was closed in 1953 and the buildings subsequently demolished. An unstaffed station was re-opened in 1973 and the line, now electrified but reduced to…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00189.jpg
The station on the MR’s Shipley – Guiseley line opened at the same time as the line in 1876 and was closed in 1940 and the building subsequently demolished. The line, now electrified but reduced to single track, remains in use for Bradford Forster…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00188.jpg
The MR’s branch from the Otley & Ilkley Joint Railway to their Aire Valley line at Apperley Junction had opened in 1865 and the station at Guiseley was opened at the same time. The connection to the Aire Valley line was Leeds facing which meant that…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00187.jpg
The MR’s branch from their Aire Valley line at Apperley Junction to the Otley & Ilkley Joint Railway had opened in 1865 but the station at Menston wasn’t opened until August 1875. North East of the station at Menston Junction, where there had been a…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00184.jpg
The first station here, known as Pool, opened with the Leeds & Thirsk Railway in 1849 but was replaced a little to the south by the triangular junction station seen here when the NER opened their Otley Branch in 1865; it was re-named Arthington as a…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00182.jpg
The station on the section of the Leeds & Bradford Extension Railway between Skipton and Colne opened 1848 but up to 1937 was simply known as Thornton. The station was closed in 1970 at the same time as the line between Skipton and Colne but there is…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00179.jpg
The station on the Leeds & Bradford Extension Railway between Shipley and Colne opened at the same time as the section of the line between Shipley and Keighley in March 1847. The station on its last day as seen here was near the Bingley Three Rise…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00178.jpg
The Leeds & Bradford Extension Railway between Shipley and Colne opened over its whole length in 1848 but a station wasn’t opened by the MR at Saltaire until 1856. This station was closed in 1965 and the buildings demolished in 1970. In 1984 a new…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00177.jpg
The station on the Leeds & Bradford Railway’s Aire Valley Line opened in July 1846 a few weeks after the line. This station was replaced in 1900 by the one seen here when the line was widened to four tracks. The station closed in 1965 but a new…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00174.jpg
The station on the Leeds & Bradford Railway’s Aire Valley Line opened at the same time as the line in 1846 and became part of the MR network. The station was re-built when the line was quadrupled in about 1905 having been re-named Newlay & Horsforth…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00154.jpg
The station seen here in in LMS days (1923-1948) opened in 1841 at the same time as the Leeds – Derby line of the North Midland Railway, later a constituent part of the MR. The station closed in 1957 having been re-named Methley North in 1950 to…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00150.jpg
Looking down on the station early 20th century which was on the NER's Cross Gates – Wetherby line; opened 1876 and closed 1964.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00122.jpg
The first station situated in Horbury Bridge opened with this section of the M&LR on 5th October 1840 and was named Horbury & Ossett. It was replaced in 1902 with the island platform station seen here, still in Horbury Bridge, and renamed Ossett &…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00120.jpg
A very derelict looking Brighouse Station, date unknown. The first station here opened with the line in October 1840 and was to the east of Huddersfield Road and at the time was called 'Brighouse and Bradford Station' as there as then no railway to…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00106.jpg
The Station Car Park at the top of Station Road in 2013. This had been the site of the large two bay Station Warehouse which was demolished in 1969 following serious fire damage. The formal landscaped car park was constructed in 1994.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DEF00269.jpg
Mytholm Hall had been demolished to make way for the apartments seen here, Hebden Bridge Parish Church of St James the Great is behind.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DEF00268.jpg
Mytholm Hall had been demolished to make way for the apartments seen here, Hebden Bridge Parish Church of St James the Great is behind.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DEF00191.jpg
Location unknown, but are they planning the next Civic Trust task? Michael Newton is on the right.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DEF00131.jpg
Ken and Michael Wetherill. Location not known.

Tags: ,

Output Formats

atom, csv, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2