Browse Items (25 total)

  • Tags: Water Tower

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/NGH00116.jpg
Looking across to the passenger shelter on the up platform probably in October 1962. Centre right carriages stored on a siding and far left a section of steps to the footbridge which connected the platforms with one another and with the Booking…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/NGH00111.jpg
Looking down the line with the up platform on the right and the down platform passenger shelter on the left. The footbridge in the distance connected the two platforms with one another and with the small timber Booking Office adjacent to the down…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/NGH00109.jpg
Carriages stored on a siding behind the up platform. Bottom left rails diverging for the junction for the Halifax Branch. The station had closed in September 1962 and was demolished in 1965.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/NGH00108.jpg
A former LMS Fowler Class 4F number 44457 passing through Greetland Station on the down line after closure of the station in September 1962. The loco went to the scrap yard in October 1964.

On the left behind the water turret carriages are stored…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00159.jpg
On the GNR ‘short line’ from Leeds Central to Bradford the station opened with the line in 1854. To the west of the station there was the junction with the Pudsey loop line which had opened in 1893 and closed in 1965. Bramley station closed in 1966…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00118.jpg
The station on the M&LR’s Calder Valley Main Line was originally known as North Dean. It was opened in July 1844 on completion of the M&LR’s Halifax Branch which ran from a junction at North Dean up to a terminus station at Shaw Syke, south of…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/ALC00458.jpg
The station looking east in L&YR days. The canopies have all now gone along with the platform building on the left and the goods siding which is now the station car park.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/LYR00137.jpg
LYRS 6098 - Water tank and gents toilets in 1963. Now demolished they were situated on the 'up' platform immediately to the west of, and abutting, the single storey station building which is now the Jubilee Refreshment Rooms.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/MOT00168.jpg
Originally built as a cotton spinning mill in the early 19th Century, the buildings were later converted to a print and dye works. The abundant water supply was the chief reason for the selection of the site, but the chimney which is situated on the…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/MOT00165.jpg
Another Fielden Mill utilising water power with a unique system of three waterwheels, each fed by a stepped series of dams. This mill was later converted to steam power. Lumbutts Mill and Jumb Mill were interconnected by a conveyor system which…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/MOT00163.jpg
Lumbutts Mill 1900s - In addition to the parent mill at Waterside, Fielden Bros owned several smaller mills in the valleys around Todmorden, almost all of which were used for spinning purposes. Two of these were situated in the Lumbutts Clough - the…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/MOT00158.jpg
When this photograph was taken, c. 1900-1910, all that remained of the former weaving and spinning mill was the upper wheel race. Built in 1805 the mill was operated by the Ormerod Bros. from 1824 until about 1870. The place stood empty for many…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/WMH01306.jpg
Undated postcard. Slack chapel is in the centre of the picture with Popples to the right. In the distance you can see the Heptonstall water tower.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/HPC00112.jpg
In about 1830 a series of four dams was constructed above the Fieldens’ Lumbutts Mill to feed a new water-wheel tower. This striking industrial monument housed three wheels, one vertically above the other, in an ingenious piece of engineering that…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DMC00330.jpg
This photo can be dated after 1965 (when the gallows signals outside Millwood tunnel were removed) but before 1973, when the signal box was demolished.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DMC00242.jpg
In about 1830 a series of four dams was constructed above the Fieldens’ Lumbutts Mill to feed a new water-wheel tower. This striking industrial monument housed three wheels, one vertically above the other, in an ingenious piece of engineering that…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DMC00241.jpg
In about 1830 a series of four dams was constructed above the Fieldens’ Lumbutts Mill to feed a new water-wheel tower. This striking industrial monument housed three wheels, one vertically above the other, in an ingenious piece of engineering that…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DMC00240.jpg
In about 1830 a series of four dams was constructed above the Fieldens’ Lumbutts Mill to feed a new water-wheel tower. This striking industrial monument housed three wheels, one vertically above the other, in an ingenious piece of engineering that…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DMC00238.jpg
The water wheel tower for Lumbutts Mill can be is in the centre, with Lumbutts Methodist Chapel partially hidden by the trees to the right.
Output Formats

atom, csv, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2