Browse Items (68 total)

  • Tags: West End

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/ALC00221.jpg
Circa 1930. The first building on the left is on the end of Bridge Gate and was partly demolished when New Road was widened in 1931. The remaining part of the building is now Holt's Greengrocers.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/ALC05174.jpg
Taken on the weekend of the closing down sale, Easter, 1992

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/ALC05175.jpg
Taken on the weekend of the closing down sale, Easter, 1992. Ref: 041b

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/LIL00142.jpg
This photographic studio was at 25 West End, Hebden Bridge

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/ALC05856.jpg
Photo taken at the junction of Old Gate and West End, showing the rear of Westbourne House and Bridge Gate Mill. Nickie's cafe stood oat this junction but was pulled down in the 1960s as part of a road widening and improvement scheme.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/KEC00388.jpg
The building in the centre of the picture is the rear of Nickies cafe. Part of the Hebden Bridge Local History Society Archive

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/ALC00131.jpg
"God save the King. Wake up England. God save the Queen our Mary". June 1911, illuminated by gas on this side and electricity on the far side, spans New Road at its junction with Holme Street and Bridge Gate. you can see the edge of Mr Crossley…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/ALC00138.jpg
The arch which was illuminated by gas on this side and electricity on the far side, spanned New Road at its junction with Holme Street and Bridge Gate. The edge of Mr Crossley Westerman's advertisement can be seen on the right. This photo must have…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/ALC00109.jpg
Greaves shop c1855, at the corner of Bridge Gate and New Road, now demolished. Chamber’s shop on the right later became Thomas Blackburn, Ironmongers.

Greaves Draper and Hosier later became Zacharias Spencer Florist. Spencer’s later moved to the…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/ALC00346.jpg
ALC00346. East side of the festival arch for the coronation of George V in June 1911 looking through to Westbourne House. This side was lit by electricity whilst the other was lit by gas.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/ALC00350.jpg
ALC00350. Looking towards West End. Timothy Whites was taken over by Boots in 1968 and most stores closed and in 1976 the one seen here became the Tourist Information Centre and is now AJs Fish & Chips. Next to it is the Yorkshire Bank, now…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/HLS05072.jpg
New Road junction with Holme Street, left, and Bridge Gate, right looking towards West End. The signs on the left-hand building, below the lamp, point up Bridge Gate to Keighley and Hardcastle Crags. The policeman on point duty at the junction, a…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/ALC00348.jpg
The tram terminus on New Road, near the junction with Holme Street, left, and Bridge Gate, right looking towards West End. The white sign on the right-hand building points to C Westerman, Photographer, on West End and the signs on the left-hand…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/ALC00331.jpg
West End looking towards New Road. Date unknown but the car has a post-1921 Leeds registration number. From the far end the shops are: first three Blackburn Ironmongers; Haighs Music Shop; Westerman's Photographic Studio; Cockcrofts and Watsons. On…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/ALC00332.jpg
ALC00332. West End shops in the 1920s; Blackburn Ironmongers still there as in the 1910 photograph. The gabled building on the left on the corner of Bridge Gate and New Road was demolished in 1931 for widening New Road; the cut back corner building…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/ALC00333.jpg
Sydney B. King,Gent's Outfitter. The building is now demolished. Note the old cross roads sign for the junction with Bridge Gate and Holme Street.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/ALC00335.jpg
ALC00335. 1855/6. West End at the junction with Bridge Gate, left, and New Road, right. Chambers shop on the right later becomes Blackburn Ironmongers and Greaves Draper and Hosiry is later Z Spence florist who later moved to the corner of New Road…
Output Formats

atom, csv, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2