<<< Back

Title: - LYR00148

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/LYR00148.jpg
Click on the photo to enlarge. Click here to Comment
To license a hi-res version of this image or order a print: Copy the full title, including the number and quote this when contacting us. Not all images are available to license or print.

Title

- LYR00148

Subject

Holywell Green, LYR, Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway, People, Railmotor, Railway, Railway station, Railways, Stainland, Stainland Branch, Station, Station Building, Station Canopies, Station Platform, Steam engine, Steam loco, Tank Engine, Train

Description

LYRS 1818 - Railmotor Coach No 3 at Stainland & Holywell Green Station. The Stainland Branch left the Calder Valley Main Line at Greetland and opened in 1875 up to near Brookroyd Mills at Holywell Green, whose owners, the Shaws, had influenced the line’s construction. Although less than two miles long it was heavily engineered with two substantial stone viaducts; West Vale 13 arches and Holywell Green 14 arches. The single platform station at Holywell Green was poorly placed down a steep hill well below Stainland.

Despite in 1907 the introduction of railmotors the Branch was unable to cope first with competition from electric trams and then from motor buses and closed to passengers in 1929 and fully in 1959. This picture shows how the Railmotor coach is articulated to the loco and driver's position when running coach first.

Creator

Unknown

Source

Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway Society

Date

No date yet

Rights

PHDA - Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway Society

Identifier

LYR00148.tif

Citation

Unknown, “ - LYR00148,” Pennine Horizons Digital Archive, accessed December 18, 2018, http://penninehorizons.org/items/show/12799.

Output Formats

Comments

Allowed tags: <p>, <a>, <em>, <strong>, <ul>, <ol>, <li>

Social Bookmarking